PDA

View Full Version : What's wrong?

SteveDX89
06-20-2002, 04:53 PM
What the hell is wrong with the damn car? Most of the time when I get on the brakes, I get a knocking sound. It's coming from the suspension or the brakes themselves. Are the balljoints going bad or is something just loose? It's rather annoying so if anyone can help, I'd appreciate it. Also, if you can hear a "psst" sound coming from the struts when going over bumps, does that mean I need new ones? Thanks guys.

lilbluedevil225
06-20-2002, 06:11 PM
well if you are talking about when you are comming to a stop is the only time you hear it it is your back brakes need changed and adjusted that is what my car was doing till i got my back brakes changed and everything now i dont hear anything ... well hope that helps out your prob.

SteveDX89
06-21-2002, 02:19 AM
It does occur when I'm coming to a stop but it's not every time. If I slow down like a damn grandma (10 miles before the turn), it doesn't do it. I'm just thinking :wtf: The last time I check my back brakes they were fine. They passed inspection which on the 1st of this month so I don't know.

Jims 86LXI HB
06-21-2002, 06:40 AM
Originally posted by SteveDX89
What the hell is wrong with the damn car? Most of the time when I get on the brakes, I get a knocking sound. It's coming from the suspension or the brakes themselves. Are the balljoints going bad or is something just loose? It's rather annoying so if anyone can help, I'd appreciate it. Also, if you can hear a "psst" sound coming from the struts when going over bumps, does that mean I need new ones? Thanks guys.

Does it make the sound only when your braking on less them smooth ground? I'am inclined to suspect your balljoints.

As far as hearing the "psst" sound from you struts meaning you need new ones? No that would not be a good indicator if at all. Give it the bounce test at both ends. Push down real hard at either end of the car and watch the car as you let up. If it bounces more that once when it comes up, you can think about replacing the struts at that end of the car. It is more common for the rears to go before the fronts.:rolleyes:

Hope that helps.

SteveDX89
06-21-2002, 01:26 PM
Yeah, the back bounces twice. The fronts are good. I just wanted to know if that sound is a solid indication of needing new struts.

The knocking noise occurs on rough road during braking. Balljoints you say, how much would I be expecting to pay and how difficult is it to do it? Thanks.