PDA

View Full Version : Vigorously shaking!

88LX-iSedan
10-03-2003, 10:39 PM
Shaking, Wobbling, Vibrating.. <--heh heh Anyway, Those are the three things that pretty much sum-up what my car does when im going around 60-65Mph. It's so bad that my rear-views shake rendering them near useless and if you're talking your voice vibrates.. Basically it's annoying as fack and i seek the knowledge of my fellow 3G(ers). Thanks, Matt

dj99
10-04-2003, 04:44 AM
I think maybe your axle(s) need replacing.

shepherd79
10-04-2003, 07:08 AM
why would he replace his axels? they have nothing to do with it.
His problem in suspension or tires.
check your tire pressure and get them checked for ballance.
if that checks out fine, than you need to start working on suspension, but i think your tires are unballanced. you probbaly lost the balancing weight somewhere. it happened to me one time except it was on the back, but stillmy car shacked like crazy.

drknow
10-05-2003, 07:30 AM
It could be a slightly bent axle couldnt it????

pimp86LX
10-05-2003, 08:23 AM
Originally posted by drknow
It could be a slightly bent axle couldnt it????

when my axles were no good, they shook like a mofo. Replacing them did solve the problem.

However, to be sure, check ball joints, bushings, rotors, pads, uhmm...tires...all that stuff.

MrBen
10-05-2003, 03:14 PM
My balljoints are shot to all hell and it does not shake at high speeds. The steering wheel vibrates like a mofo though.

Dibbs
10-06-2003, 05:57 AM
Gotta be the struts. You might have a tire that is wearing unevenly, which causes this vigorous shaking. Does you steering wheel shake? You might need to replace the tie rod ends (SUPER EASY) and the ball joints (not as easy) as well. I would first check for uneven treadwear on your tires. This, and a shaking steering wheel is a dead giveaway that you struts need replacing.

Here's some other tips on inspecting your own suspension

Jack up your car

If you can move your wheel from side to side with the steering wheel locked, you need new tie rod ends.

If you can move your wheel back & forth from top to bottom, then you need ball joints.

While you got the wheels off, you might as well replace the rod ends if they've never been replaced. They are only like $15 each and if you haven't replaced them before you will notice a hell of a difference. Ball joints on the other hand are a bit more expensive. It's around $80-90 for each side on the front and $35-50 for each side on the rear.

With struts, the sky's the limit. You can get your basic Gabriel setup for about $150 all the way around, on up to the Billsteins that run $100-120 each! Shox.com has struts for reasonable prices You can get KYBs for around $160 before shipping. It would be best to set aside $200 for struts period.

Anytime you replace struts you need to look at getting your alignment done. You don't always have to IMO, but just drive your car around afterwards. The car will tell you if it needs an alignment or not. If your car jerks hard to the right or left when you let go of the steering wheel, you probably need an alignment. If after about 5 seconds, your car is just crossing the white line on the road, then you probably don't need an alignment.

I just got finished socking $500 into my whole suspension and that's parts alone. I did all the labor myself. I replaced struts, tie rod ends, and ball joints all the way around and I will tell you it was worth EVERY PENNY! My car drives like I just drove it off a showroom floor. I didn't get an alignment becasue my wheels stand straight and my car doesn't veer to the right or left. I hope this helps clarify what you might need to do to get you car back to a comfortable driving shape. Email or PM me with anymore questions.

88LX-iSedan
10-12-2003, 09:05 AM
Guess it's never too late to reply.. I've been busy lately (Doing nothin'). Anyway, That was pretty in-depth dib.. Thank's man, just what i was looking for.

95AccordEXR
10-13-2003, 11:52 AM
it would only be the axle if the wobble happens under acceleration... wobbling at a certain speed usually means wheels are out of balance

MrBen
10-13-2003, 12:35 PM
Yep that's true! I just had my axles replaced, and one or both is defective. The result? Vibrating under acceleration!

HostileJava
10-13-2003, 01:17 PM
Originally posted by 95AccordEXR
it would only be the axle if the wobble happens under acceleration... wobbling at a certain speed usually means wheels are out of balance

Your sig is to big(wide).