PDA

View Full Version : What struts are needed with lowering springs?

bass
06-20-2002, 06:03 PM
I have lowering springs on my car and the original shocks. It doesn't ride well over bumps. I'm wondering if any new shock, even an OEM replacement will fix the ride or if I need special aftermarket shocks designed for shorter springs. Thanks

89AccordNate
06-20-2002, 06:38 PM
Oh hatchback jimmy! You are needed! Bass I would recommend reading this section because this has been answered I know 50 times.

Nate.

Jims 86LXI HB
06-21-2002, 06:57 AM
Originally posted by bass
I have lowering springs on my car and the original shocks. It doesn't ride well over bumps. I'm wondering if any new shock, even an OEM replacement will fix the ride or if I need special aftermarket shocks designed for shorter springs. Thanks

Ok, if you install oem struts you will do nothing but freshen the problem. Oem struts are oem because they are valved that way, not for stiffer lowering springs. Running oem struts with lowering springs will put allot more stress on them then they are designed to handle. The means 2 things, it will ride like crap and they tend to not last very long.

When you ask the question, "do I need special aftermarket shocks designed for shorter springs". That can mean your wondering about shorter bodied struts, which you can't get for our cars. So the best answer to that question is if their are any struts made for our cars that are valved stiffer for duty with lowering springs. Yes their are, koni specials. They are not valved stiff they are valved firm, just like lowering springs they are a good match. Firmer still would be the revalved Bilsteins I just installed on the front of my car.

I'll be more than happy to let you drive my car to check out what a firmer strut does. I'll be heading up to the raceway either next wed or the one after that, I'll let you know when.

bass
06-23-2002, 12:48 AM
Cool, I look forward to seeing you there, Jim. I guess I should have done a search first, sorry.

Jims 86LXI HB
06-23-2002, 07:20 AM
Hey now it's nate that's gettin wise about how I've answered this type of question a bunch of times, not me. I don't mind, I'm here to help, to be part of the solution, not part of the problem. If I can't answer questions when they come up I should not be a moderator. I really, really really don't mind. And as always if my answers generate more questions in anyones mind, ask them, that's what I'm here for.:cool: :smokin: :super:

89AccordDXHB
07-03-2002, 02:51 PM
I might be picking up a set of Intrax springs for my hatchback. Other message boards complain about Intrax bounciness but I don't think they changed their shocks.

I want to install my springs with KYB GR-2 Shocks. Will this keep a good ride or should I get the more expensive Konis to make sure my ride is not bouncy?

TeKKnoTeKK
07-03-2002, 03:04 PM
Well basically the KYB struts are OEM replacements....so refelcting on what Jimmy was saying you would be better off getting KONI's, or even tokico's.

jigga225
07-03-2002, 05:20 PM
get tokicos <spelling> from shox.com.. The best price yet.:werd:

89AccordDXHB
07-05-2002, 11:44 PM
Originally posted by Jims 86LXI HB

Firmer still would be the revalved Bilsteins I just installed on the front of my car.

Do you have different pair of shocks for the front of your car versus the back? Can I focus on pricey Konis on the front and just whatever for the rear? (...you can hear the penny pincher in my words...)

There's gotta be another choice instead of Konis for my lowering springs. Is their any product that cost less than Konis designed to be paired with lowering springs?

Jims 86LXI HB
07-06-2002, 11:00 AM
Originally posted by 89AccordDXHB

Do you have different pair of shocks for the front of your car versus the back? Can I focus on pricey Konis on the front and just whatever for the rear? (...you can hear the penny pincher in my words...)

There's gotta be another choice instead of Konis for my lowering springs. Is their any product that cost less than Konis designed to be paired with lowering springs?

Yes I am running revalved Bilsteins in the front and Koni's in the rear. And I'm not the only member that's running different struts front to back. Theirs no reason why you or anyone else can't do that. I'd recommend running Koni's in the front and tokico's in the rear.

And no, theres no another strut choice other than Konis when it comes to a strut that has enough firmness for duty with lowering springs. Your only other choice would be to revalve Bilstein struts like I'm testing right now. Thier is a limited number of strut brands to choice from for the 3rd gen accord. And of those brand's, none of them offer their higher performance products for us. As it is now, we're lucky that even the Koni's work since the Koni special is at the bottom of their product lineup. The tokico's have shown themselves to me to soft in the front, but ok in the rear. Kyb only offers their OEM comfort valved struts for our cars, meaning their GR-2 struts aren't valved any different than the struts that came from the factory. And if you think that Gaberiel or Monroe will work your really kidding yourself. Sure you can use any of the other brands, but. Be real carefull for I've noticed that their are plenty of members here that either don't know what a bad strut/spring combo drives like or they are to full of pride to be able to be honest to tell you they made a mistake.