PDA

View Full Version : Radiator leak

meangreenLXi
10-05-2003, 02:35 PM
I've got a small leak in my radiator right under the cap. I've searched radiators and found that "Radiator leak fixer:plumbers puddy," would possibly fix my leak, it's a small hole and the pressure is coming out when the fluid heats up. The fluid seeping out jumps on the hot engine and i get little clouds of white smoke coming out. Is the puddy a good idea since I've only got a small leak in the neck area of the radiator? Or do I need a new radiator? Don't have the money for a radiator because I've got a fuel injector that needs replacing. I wanna fix which ever is more important first. If i can get the radiator fixed with the puddy, that would be great, but if it's prolonging the problem, I gotta fix it. :wtf:

ddt88hb
10-05-2003, 03:29 PM
From what I understand about radiators, it sounds like that might work, as long as the hole isn't on the seams. You can try the putty, if it doesn't work, get a new radiator. I sell new life time radiators for 86-89 accords for 129.00 but you can probably find them cheaper if you call around. Message me if you still need an injector. I have an acount with my local Honda dealership and will give it to you at my cost. (the more I buy the less it costs me, so I don't mind helping out here and there)

zero.counter
10-05-2003, 03:36 PM
J-B Weld will fix that fine. It holds under pressure very well.

shepherd79
10-05-2003, 03:40 PM
i would replace the radiator first.
look on ebay for new radiators.

DBMaster
10-05-2003, 04:27 PM
I got my new radiator for $99 delivered three years ago.

Also, if you call RC Engineering (rceng.com) you can get an OEM injector for $42, used for "testing purposes" with full warranty. I put in two of these and they were in like new condition.

As said above, you need to use some type of epoxy (like JB Weld). Plumber's putty is like clay that never hardens and it is used tp put under faucets and drains in your sink. It will not work for the radiator. Even the JB Weld may not work for long because I had the same type of crack in mine. The plastic shrinks and expands significantly with the heating and cooling of the engine and your leak will most likely be back in short order.

meangreenLXi
10-06-2003, 03:56 AM
Thanx for the replies, I wanna try the puddy first because I still have to deal with the injector. I was trying to get a feel on if it's a good idea to use the puddy or not. I'm interested in the price of that injector. I have to get over to my mechanic and see what he would charge me to change out the radiator (if necessary) and to do the injector swap as well. I've heard the injector swap is easy but I do want my car working right.

Vinny
10-06-2003, 05:22 AM
Best bet is to just replace the radiator. JB weld might be a good temp fix, but its just that "temp". You say you want your car working right then fix it right.

DBMaster
10-06-2003, 05:56 AM
The injector replacement is very easy. The radiator replacement is not too bad, but time consuming. You might call a local radiator shop and ask them if they even try to repair cracked plastic tanks on radiators. If they do they might even tell you what they use. If they say they don't I wouldn't even bother trying to patch it. Problem is that you can never get the coolant residue out of the crack so all you will be doing is the equivalent of slapping a piece of tape across the top of the crack.

meangreenLXi
10-06-2003, 07:28 AM
yeah, what I meant about having it fixed right, is basicallly having a mechanic do it. I like to change this and that but something like that is new to me and my fuel injectors isn't something you search and learn how to do and go out and do it. Well, I guess it is but I don't have the time and I'd end up doing a poor rush job..

meangreenLXi
10-12-2003, 02:44 PM
yeah i got some JB Weld and that works great with the top plastic half of the radiator. I then found out that my powersteering hose has a hole in it, hmm wonder if JB Weld would work on that. :super:

zero.counter
10-12-2003, 02:54 PM
Originally posted by meangreenLXi
yeah i got some JB Weld and that works great with the top plastic half of the radiator. I then found out that my powersteering hose has a hole in it, hmm wonder if JB Weld would work on that. :super:
For the power steering hose, I would steer clear of using the weld on that. I know it sounds kinda unprofessional to use the jb weld on the radiator, but I had it on my old radiator for at least a year as a daily driver without a hitch. It was in exactly the same spot of the plastic neck. I even had zip ties holding the fog light assemblies and one windshield wiper down for over 6 months. Since they were black, you could not tell and held tightly. A large zip tie held the front bumper up to the support for a while as well after having a minor accident. This was all happening while I was in school the first time and had no money or extra time. But this is a personal experience and not at all advocated...:)

EDIT* Actually, now that I think about it, the weld was used on the part where the plastic covers the aluminum. So it was a different issue as it was bound to metal. Plastic may be a different issue.

SPDboy
10-12-2003, 03:08 PM
I can get a radiator for 20 bucks for that car and about 5 or 10 for the injector.....too bad ya done me wrong

meangreenLXi
10-13-2003, 09:31 AM
SPD your funny. You can talk to me, but i aint gonna let you brow beat me. I'm a grown azz man.

SPDboy
10-14-2003, 10:04 AM
yeah, who makes empty promises, but I am not going to bring this in here

RustyHo88
10-14-2003, 10:20 AM
Originally posted by zero.counter
J-B Weld will fix that fine. It holds under pressure very well.

Originally posted by Vinny
Best bet is to just replace the radiator. JB weld might be a good temp fix, but its just that "temp". You say you want your car working right then fix it right.

I put JB weld on the radiator of the car i gave to my brother, then i drove it from here to California. I made it to Utah before i had any problems. NTM the leak was caused from a warped seam. It was a good thing though; a new radiator, cap, hoses, and thermostat was only $162 at autozone... I would have paid that for just the radiator here in Escanaba. stupid small towns! :rant:

meangreenLXi
10-14-2003, 10:22 AM
You already brought it here? You know my work email if you wanted to get me, we work during the same time of day. You wanted to bring this here, but you must want to say something say it?

SPDboy
10-14-2003, 10:29 AM
how about we bet the 200 you were gunna gimme on a race....you can do your header and all 1/4 mile.........

meangreenLXi
10-14-2003, 10:34 AM
oh, lemme see you race cars and work on engines and you wanna race a newbie with a stock engine for the $200. Those are great odds but being on the short end, i'd have to pass.

SPDboy
10-14-2003, 10:40 AM
my car is bone stock........and a wagon

meangreenLXi
10-14-2003, 10:42 AM
oh, so you lied when you said you had it up to 160mph? And I know you have a wagon, but it seems you wanna put on a show for the forum, email me at work.

SPDboy
10-14-2003, 10:47 AM
160mph in a cavvy wagon???? your smoking crack man