PDA

View Full Version : tach, air, & cruise problem, help!

ddt88hb
10-05-2003, 02:46 PM
Here is my problem. Hopefully someone has an answer. I know I have presented this before, but I now have more info to consider to slove the problem.
About a year ago, I replaced the vacuum control assembly. After I installed it, the tach started giving off false readings. If the engine sounds like 2500 rpm, the tach reads 4800 +.
My air conditioning compressor clutch disengages and the cruise control disengages at about what sounds like 3000 rpm. It even does it when parked and running. I can actually watch the compressor clutch disengage and then reengage as the RPM's come down.
My question is this. Is there a sensor that runs off of the tach to tell these components to stop running if the RPM's are too high. I think they are related, because they happened at the same time and they shut off at the same time. Is it my distributor? It sounds like some bees are running around in there. Would this cause the tach to read false, consequently shutting down the compressor clutch and cruise, because of the high false reading?
Am I just going crazy??? Should I push it off of a cliff???? Any help would be welcomed. And yes, I have tried all of the vacuum lines (I tought they were getting pinched). :wtf:
HELP!!!

Justin86
10-05-2003, 05:39 PM
Well the tach operates off the coil. If you have a prob with the distruibtor it might be messing with the read out on the tach. The cruise control might be best to take it out. Mine had a rpoblem when I bought it, where it would work fine then it would change the speed and shut off at random. I just pulled the whole system.

ddt88hb
10-05-2003, 07:41 PM
Nope, new coil. Cruise worked right up until all of these stopped working right.

ddt88hb
10-18-2003, 10:54 PM
I got a new distributor and everything works great now.
The distributor was fubar with red dust.
I think the ecu or tach was signaling the ac pump and cruise to shut off because of the false high rpm readings coming from the distributor.
FYI if you are having the same kind of issues, check the distributor.