PDA

View Full Version : Speaker Fix With Nail Polish?

HondaBoy
10-05-2003, 02:51 PM
ok, you know when your old speakers foam gets to the point where its old and almost deteriorated? well ive heard that putting nail polish on the foam will help it to keep together and last for a long while. now im not saying this is true, but im actually wondering if its true? is it? i mean, this could be legit right? anyone know if thats just BS or if this will realy work?

shepherd79
10-05-2003, 03:43 PM
i don't think it will work. when polish dries it will crack under vibration of the woofer.

NOAHS88accord
10-05-2003, 05:01 PM
in my opinion if your speakers are that old that they are falling apart then you should probably get new ones, and like shepherd said, fingernail polish cracks under vibration. now I had a friend who got a subwoofer that had been stabbed with a screwdriver on accident for free and used superglue on the rubber surround it had and it worked for about 6 months then the superglue started cracking.

HondaBoy
10-05-2003, 06:13 PM
ah, yes. that would be a likely thing to happen. i think they do make repair kit stuff for speaker cones and foam surround. naw, my speakers are good for now, just wondering. anyone know of such a repair kit?

Vanilla Sky
10-06-2003, 01:38 AM
for a ripped surround, use contact cement... one application dries soft, but it still holds plenty tight enough

danronian
10-06-2003, 05:35 AM
They sell flexible epoxy that holds almost anything together and stays flexible forever. I have used it on flexible car plastic and it works great.

accordlx
10-07-2003, 03:27 PM
I know this is a little late but here you go.... (http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&User_ID=15607585&St=9043&St2=55649846&St3=55889230&DS_ID=3&Product_ID=5870&DID=7)

NXRacer
10-07-2003, 03:31 PM
i replaced the foam on my dads nice RSL home speakers and they worked awesomely. They sound/perform like brand new. I would suggest you DO NOT use nail polish as it will probably eat right through the foam. Or any other kind of epoxy for that matter. I bought the new surrounds out of an add in the back of popular mechanics a long time ago.........

HondaBoy
10-08-2003, 02:37 PM
hmm, those are the type of kits im talking about. my original 6 1/2s were so dryed out that when i hooked em up to my home stereo, they kinda worked until i turned the bass and loudness up and then blasted them with volume. the whole cone fell apart and they poped out from the magnet. i did that with the other speaker too. it was kinda cool to see. anyway, i have 6x9s now. i know they will get all messed up in the back window cuz all my other ones have. when i get tint, that will probley help out a lot.