PDA

View Full Version : A few questions.

Art 1
10-05-2003, 05:43 PM
Uhh, I can't really figure out how to word this, so I'll just lay it out. Off the line, my car won't accelerate for crap untill it hits somewhere between 30-35 mph. After that speed, it picks up no problem.

One more question: If I gun it, or just want to get off the line a bit faster than normal, it won't switch gears up untill about 40,000 RPM's, and the level of RPM's at which it chages gear is slowly increasing. (It is an automatic.)

To the mods:
Sorry if there is another topic of this sort, I would have searched, but couldn't think of what to search for.

Thanks for everything.

SteveDX89
10-05-2003, 05:46 PM
If you're car doesn't shift until 40,000 rpm, something is definitely wrong with it. Check out your normal tune up stuff though. Spark plugs, wire, distributor, rotor, fuel filters, that might help you narrow it down.

shepherd79
10-05-2003, 06:10 PM
sounds like your engine need major tune up.
your trans may need to flushed and filled with new oil.
just do the basic tune up: engine oil change, both fuel filters, air filter, spark plugs, spark plug wires, distributor rotor and cap, trans oil flushed and filled with honda ATF.

MIK3
10-05-2003, 07:13 PM
Damn. 40,000 RPM...that is ALOT! Heh...

I hope somebody else caught that...

SteveDX89
10-06-2003, 02:03 AM
Damn. 40,000 RPM...that is ALOT! Heh...

I hope somebody else caught that...

I guess you didn't read my post. I'm sorry I'm not important. :sadwave:

Art 1
10-06-2003, 05:17 AM
A few weeks back I took it to the Honda dealer for my 90,000 mile check-up. They would've checked all that crap, right? Oh, and it changes gear at the 4 on the RPM list, I think that's 40,000. After the check-up I took it to Transmission Doctors. The dude told me that the tranny had something wrong with it, but in order to figure out the problem they would have to take the whole thing out, which was $500 plus in itself. Then I would have had to paid for the actual repair itself, so I said "No."

One more thing is that it doesn't change at the 4 at EVERY gear. I think it's only when it's swtiching from 3rd to 4th. But again, I know nothing about cars.

Also, what's with my acceleration before 35 MPH?

Thanks
-Art

SteveDX89
10-06-2003, 08:44 AM
You're tach reads single numbers, 1-8. You multiply that by the number printed right on it which is 1000. Anyway, if the tranny place told you there's something wrong with the tranny and you can't fix it, you're going to have to spend the money to get it fixed. That's if you can't fix it and they're a reputable place.

PortugalFocus
10-06-2003, 08:59 AM
After my tranny went bad it would shift at all weird RPMs....

It would hit 7,000 before it would shift from 1st to 2nd.... and sometimes it would shift right into 2nd at launch. It was God aweful.....

That def sound like a tranny issue. Make sure you dont have the trans in 2 instead of D3 or D4.....besides that?

I'm fairly sur ethat's what it is though

Art 1
10-07-2003, 05:17 AM
Last night when I was racing my friend in his mom's stang, I think I almost redlined it a few times. It's annoying as hell. I think I might just get it changed to a stick shift. How much do you think that would run me? And would it even be worth it?

SteveDX89
10-07-2003, 08:20 AM
I think racing when you've got tranny problems is just asking for the thing to blow. Knowing now that you race, that's probably what f'ed up your tranny.

Art 1
10-08-2003, 06:26 AM
No. It's been doin' that since I got it. I'm thinking about talking to one of my homies and seeing if I can get it converted for cheap.