View Full Version : Hiding an amp

jayp6969
10-05-2003, 07:01 PM
where is the best place to hide it?

zero.counter
10-05-2003, 07:06 PM
In the trunk in the spare tire well.
Other options:
Under the seats, underneath the rear deck, in the trunk.

jayp6969
10-05-2003, 07:26 PM
will it fit under the rear seat????

zero.counter
10-05-2003, 07:32 PM
Originally posted by jayp6969
will it fit under the rear seat????
It could, but you need to make the proper cooling decisions otherwise the amp would eventually overheat.

SDracerBOY
10-05-2003, 07:49 PM
I am very interested to becuase i am getting a new amp in a week r so and im wondering where to put it to, my old one i had bolted to my chassis under passanger seat but this new one im getting is to big..

jayp6969
10-06-2003, 03:44 AM
i will have a look 2day see what the options are and what we can do.

NOAHS88accord
10-06-2003, 03:50 AM
Originally posted by SDracerBOY
I am very interested to becuase i am getting a new amp in a week r so and im wondering where to put it to, my old one i had bolted to my chassis under passanger seat but this new one im getting is to big..

please tell me you had a board or something between the amp and the chassis?

SDracerBOY
10-06-2003, 02:32 PM
well i did it threw the carpet and i also folded a small towel to place underneath just in case.

neoblue89lxi
10-06-2003, 05:17 PM
put it on the back of your back seat. You can only see it if you bend down and look in the back of the trunk. Put your box infront of it.

NOAHS88accord
10-06-2003, 05:26 PM
Originally posted by neoblue89lxi
put it on the back of your back seat. You can only see it if you bend down and look in the back of the trunk. Put your box infront of it.

that is how I have all my stuff installed, my brain for my remote start/alarm, amp, cap, it puts everything out of the way, and looks cool when you fold down the seat haha

SDracerBOY
10-06-2003, 08:10 PM
well i sort of want mine out of site since i carry in my subs at night, i live in apartments and if my alarm goes off i cant here it :( i was thinking of putting it where the plastic is on the side walls of the trunk like putting it behind there put im afraid of overheating and im not sure how id mount it,

kicker1_solo
10-06-2003, 09:41 PM
Originally posted by neoblue89lxi
put it on the back of your back seat. You can only see it if you bend down and look in the back of the trunk. Put your box infront of it. yeah, that's an awesome place to have it, that's where I have mine.
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid63/p247c06a957109b297aef063b4c8e9ce6/fc068b71.jpg
You can't fold down my seat unless you have a key. So if you want my amps, you will have to get my trunk open and then crawl into my trunk and unbolt them that way, which is pretty damn hard. On top of that I usually bolt down my subwoofer box. So if you want my system you have to get a special screwdriver to take out my subs, and then have a different special key driver to take out the bolts that are inside my box. I don't like having to go through all the trouble of hiding my stuff, I just like to secure it very well.

blazin3gen
10-06-2003, 10:21 PM
yup i have mine behind the Seat too also its great place to access it

HostileJava
10-07-2003, 01:05 PM
If your truly worried about somone seeing it, build a vented false floor, put the amp(s) under the floor but make sure you have it vented well enough so that they can dissipate heat.

NOAHS88accord
10-07-2003, 01:12 PM
Originally posted by SDracerBOY
well i sort of want mine out of site since i carry in my subs at night, i live in apartments and if my alarm goes off i cant here it :( i was thinking of putting it where the plastic is on the side walls of the trunk like putting it behind there put im afraid of overheating and im not sure how id mount it,

buy a paging system for your amp, that way whenever your car is tampered with, it pages you with what was tampered with

autopage makes good ones, so does crimeguard

Bloodlust
10-07-2003, 01:19 PM
I just put them behind my rear seat. Air circulation back there isnt too bad because of all the air the subs are moving, but it is mostly hot air. Thats why I installed cooling fans that blow onto them. Also my amps have built in fans so they barely ever overheat. But besides the rear seat I would have to say under the front seats. Or the spare tire spot, but you wont have a spare tire anymore obviously. Hope that helps.

HostileJava
10-07-2003, 01:26 PM
Although it's probably not recommded, you could just mount your amp to your sub box. That way it goes in with you.

jayp6969
10-07-2003, 02:59 PM
or it goes with the person stealing ur subs...2 for 1

zero.counter
10-07-2003, 03:03 PM
If the aesthetics is not your game, you can use some steel L-Brackets to hold down in the trunk for extra strong security. Self-tapping screws easily go in the boxes.

NXRacer
10-07-2003, 03:38 PM
you can replace the floor in your trunk with heavier duty plywood and screw it to the underside of the board. Its pretty cool down there, but if you have leakage problems like i did you may want to rethink that option.

Wherever you hide it, any thief who breaks in your car will just trace the wires and find it. Probably the best option would be to add extra coverage on your car that will cover your stereo. I did that with my car after it got broken into the first time and i found out they won't cover subs and amps and shit. that PISSED me off....... :mad:

kicker1_solo
10-07-2003, 04:15 PM
Originally posted by HostileJava
Although it's probably not recommded, you could just mount your amp to your sub box. That way it goes in with you. that's a lot of work to unhook an amp every night and then hook it back up every morning.....

SDracerBOY
10-07-2003, 07:00 PM
Yea i thought about it but i dont want to undo amp wires and have to do it in morning. man it sucks to live in apartments and it also sucks that i have to park out on the main street since we can only have 1 car per household in parking lot.

Justin86
10-07-2003, 08:38 PM
Well make sure that it is bolted down good and use something uncommon to secure it so that some idiot with a screw driver can jack your stuff. Also make sure that some idiot can't trace the wires to all of your electronics.

HaShfIeNd
07-30-2005, 03:07 PM
wow, this is an old post. but uh i just wanted to say that i think a good place to hide it is under the passanger seat.. easy access under the carpet also.. i had to do a little re-arranging of the parts that were already underthere, but as far as cooling goes.. lol the car fan has a port right under the seat.. so it blows right on your amp if you have it on the floor vents.. anyways...

87DXHatch
07-30-2005, 04:44 PM
wow, this is an old post. but uh i just wanted to say that i think a good place to hide it is under the passanger seat.. easy access under the carpet also.. i had to do a little re-arranging of the parts that were already underthere, but as far as cooling goes.. lol the car fan has a port right under the seat.. so it blows right on your amp if you have it on the floor vents.. anyways...
That is only relevant if the amp is small enough to fit under the passenger's seat. Only one of my three amps could fit under the passenger's seat, and even then it would be much more inconvenient if I put it there.

Building an amp rack or putting them behind your rear seat are both very viable options.

Why bump something so very old..?

TheWatcher
07-30-2005, 05:59 PM
Resurrecting a post from 2003 = post whore. :thumbdn:

Peace.

HaShfIeNd
08-02-2005, 01:02 AM
lol nah i was doing some searching or something and this post just came up and was noticed someone else had mentioned putting it under the seat.. i have my amp there works out great especially the cooling aspect since its not self cooling with a fan.. anyways sorry for the old post resurrect... i have an phoenix gold octane-r amp..

Resurrecting a post from 2003 = post whore. :thumbdn:

Peace.

87DXHatch
08-02-2005, 09:46 AM
What you fail to realize is that it will only be cooled during the time you have A/C on or straight cool outside air. During the winter you will be HEATING the amp when you have the heat going in the car. This was one reason I shyed away from doing an under-seat install.

*EDIT* I guess everyone doesn't live in Minnesota, so this may not be relevant to where you live.

Acidbath88accordlx
08-19-2005, 10:57 PM
Like everyone has said... mounting it anywhere out of sight is good as long as you hide the wiring real good... when in need of ventalation go to a auto parts store (which is rare) or radioshack for a small 12v fan... If you're going to mouted the amp in plain view to show it off, make a good sturdy amp rack if you're doing it in the trunk (floating amp racks are cool, im me to give you a how two, very easy, about to do one myself) and make sure if you do mount it on the back of your backseat, sigh, hide the wires (makes for a better looking install), if need be, mount it to the back of the box (it really doesn't hurt anything just makes holes you don't need, even if they are small) and don't do like this idiot did and mount it to the side of the trunk area...
http://img399.imageshack.us/img399/9765/amp9on.th.jpg (http://img399.imageshack.us/my.php?image=amp9on.jpg)
OH WAIT! :uh: I was the village idiot....
and sorry for adding to an old post, I just like stereo system talk....