PDA

View Full Version : 88 Accord - mysterious oil leak

elRuss
10-06-2003, 08:02 AM
I was dripping oil from what appeared to me to be the oil pan gasket, so I changed it. But the exact same drips are still there.

It happens when I turn the car off. Oil accumulates quickly under the timing beld cover, drips down from the breather (?) hose that comes out of the back of the oil pan, finds another escape somewhere above the exhaust pipe (the real source of the annoyance!) and gathers slowly at the junction between the block and the transmission.

Did I just not get the gasket in there right or is it something up above the oil pan that's dripping down and spreading this oil all over the place? I checked the filter. It's on tight.

Thanks much.

Mac
10-06-2003, 10:34 AM
If oil is dripping from the timing belt cover it could be the crankshaft seal or camshaft seal.

elRuss
10-06-2003, 10:44 AM
Hmm... How might one go about checking the crankshaft/camshaft seal?

You know, the more I think about it, the more I'm perplexed by the fact that the oil only leaks immediately after the car is turned off. Is there a simple explanation for this?

shepherd79
10-06-2003, 11:13 AM
you were close on solving your mistery oil problem.
it is dripping from the breather pipe. they get hard, very hard overtime and with all the stress around the motor, it can crack.
i have the same problem. when you remove the hose, remove the two breather boxes too. clean them up with some kind solvent (gasoline would do just fine). make sure they are clean and dry before you put it back.

88fasthatch
10-06-2003, 02:45 PM
It could also could be the o ring behind the oil filter mount. I had the same leak and replaced the oil pan gasket as well. just some to look into. the part is like $5 or some thing, but it is hard to get to. so i have put it off till I can save up the cash to have the shop do it.( for $132)

conquestpa
10-06-2003, 05:16 PM
I just bought an accord. It has a slight oil leak that I haven't been able to track down. I will check this too.

I already replaced the valve cover gasket.

Im thinking of replacing the distributor gaskets too now, because I still have stinky oil burning smell after some hard driving.

Whats weird is I can some see some oil seepage on the front passanger part of the block where the head meets the block. I hope its not the gasket crapping out cause I really dont want to have to do a head job on this thing. I think/hope that its the distributor...

but as elruss noted the real annoying part is the smell of burning oil. Not too worried about it flashing up, but its still also concern.

If anyone has any pointers that'd be great.

88fasthatch
10-06-2003, 05:46 PM
if you are leaking oil, just do as I do and keep an eye on you oil level, wouldn't want to kill your 3 gee. As soon as you can get the leak fixed.

elRuss
10-07-2003, 05:07 AM
Thanks, ya'll. :-)

RED LXI
10-07-2003, 08:54 AM
I got the same oil leak prolbem, one of my friends told me that there is somekind of oil switch at the back of the block, that might have a broken seal. I don't know how true this is, but since my oil leak is so insignificant (a tiny drop every 25 seconds or so) I havn't checked it out yet. this advice came after I changed my oil pan gasket 3 times in one month.:smokin:

Vinny
10-07-2003, 10:53 AM
Glad to see I'm not the only one with the same problem. Mines leaking quite a bit here lately and its leaking the same way as the others in the post. I just put a new valve cover from honda on it , no help. I used a fel-pro pan gasket that didn't seem to fit right(the ear sat up higher than they should at the crank journal) So the next step is a honda pan gasket and while I'm at it I'll change the oil filter housing seal as well. All the lines and plumbing from the breather box are new as well so I'll let everyone know what I find out

Mac
10-07-2003, 05:41 PM
I was changing the exhaust on my LXi today when I noticed oil on my oil pan. At first I thought it was coming from the oil plug. Then I noticed oil by the breather tube. After I finished the exhaust I cleaned it all up. Then when I got up I checked the oil, and I noticed oil by the timing mark inspection hole and by the head gasket. So I cleaned it all up and I think it's coming from the distributor o-ring. The valve cover gasket seemed like the only thing dry. Any way I either got a small leak from the dist. o-ring or a couple of different leaks. I guess I will change the dist. o-ring and see what happens.

elRuss
10-22-2003, 07:49 PM
I did the cam seal and valve cover gasket, but I'm still dripping from the timing belt cover. This leads me to one of two conclusions: head gasket or crankshaft seal. Neither are worth the trouble on this old car. A damn shame, I say.

rocky2
10-25-2003, 06:23 AM
Most leaks are from the valve cover gasket. And you could put a new gasket and still have leaks cause the cover itself is warped.Theres not a hole lota clamping forse to hold it down. At times the only remedy is to use a new gasket and rtv combined but it don't look good.

LoKo498
10-26-2003, 05:01 PM
How hard was it to change your oil pan gasket? It looks almost impossible to do without lifting the engine.

rocky2
10-28-2003, 02:59 PM
Once you drop the exshaust pipe all the way,its not bad. The bolts/nuts along the trans are a little tough but a little forse on the wrenchs will make it. The toughest part are the nuts however need heat to be sure you don't strip them on the manifold altough I have broke them loose at boneyard without the use of a torch.

Vinny
10-28-2003, 03:04 PM
Originally posted by LoKo498
How hard was it to change your oil pan gasket? It looks almost impossible to do without lifting the engine.

I pretty much outlined all of it in another thread. Here ya go

Oil Pan Gasket (http://3geez.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=25241&highlight=pan+gasket)

If you have any problems feel free to ask

HondaBoy
10-28-2003, 09:35 PM
i dont know exactly if this will help, but maybe it will. check your cylinder head for leaks at the seam. where the gasket is. mine had been leaking for the longest time and we could never figure it out. thats what mine has been. hope you find you mysterious leakage. oh, and also, check your valve cover gasket and other places like they said.

BMS
10-28-2003, 09:51 PM
You all know that if you go to PepBoys they will give you a leak check for like 25$. They will tell you everywhere that there is a leak, and knowing that is half the way to having it fixed.

Vinny
10-29-2003, 05:04 AM
Originally posted by BMS
You all know that if you go to PepBoys they will give you a leak check for like 25$. They will tell you everywhere that there is a leak, and knowing that is half the way to having it fixed.

Well then you should also know that you can buy the UV kit and do it yourself as well.