PDA

View Full Version : crankshaft bearings

thegreatdane
10-06-2003, 11:52 AM
One of my crankshaft bearings has these 2 blueish marks on them(well i havent checked them all yet actually..). Do they need to be replaced? I havent got the tools at hand to measure them...

A20A1
10-06-2003, 12:26 PM
blue marks... I don't know what that is for...

I never worked with plastiguage I'm not sure what other tools you'd need... maybe a micrometer...

2old_honda
10-06-2003, 10:36 PM
the blue mark tells you what size the bearing is. honda has several different sized bearings, each size has a different color.

thegreatdane
10-07-2003, 07:21 AM
No, its not like a symbol or anything, it's on the inside of the bearing, the side that gets worn. It looks like something that came from thrust or something. I dont now excactly how to explain it...

thegreatdane
10-09-2003, 06:57 AM
Noone? :(

conquestpa
10-09-2003, 08:16 AM
most likely from the bearing surface over heating, did you run without oil??

:crying:

BITESIZE
10-09-2003, 08:22 AM
show us a picture.

Gregg86DX
10-09-2003, 09:23 AM
Originally posted by thegreatdane
One of my crankshaft bearings has these 2 blueish marks on them(well i havent checked them all yet actually..). Do they need to be replaced? I havent got the tools at hand to measure them...

The marks you see may be different layers of metal that have worn through, but honestly, my policy is to replace bearings anytime they come out. I don't think it is cost effective to reuse old bearings unless you are sure they are not significantly worn.

Gregg

thegreatdane
10-09-2003, 09:47 AM
Originally posted by BITESIZE
show us a picture.

Unfortunately I havent got a camera.

thegreatdane
10-09-2003, 09:49 AM
Originally posted by conquestpa
most likely from the bearing surface over heating, did you run without oil??

:crying:

No, not that i know of.

NXRacer
10-09-2003, 09:50 AM
does it look like a painted mark? i'm thinking that its been heated/burned to to excessive wear or lack of oil. i'd replace it.

thegreatdane
10-09-2003, 09:55 AM
Originally posted by Gregg86DX
The marks you see may be different layers of metal that have worn through, but honestly, my policy is to replace bearings anytime they come out. I don't think it is cost effective to reuse old bearings unless you are sure they are not significantly worn.

Gregg

Depends on how much cash youve got :D But im probably gonna change them anyway though, it's just nice to be able to tell if something's broken by looking at it :)

thegreatdane
10-09-2003, 11:22 AM
Originally posted by NXRacer
does it look like a painted mark? i'm thinking that its been heated/burned to to excessive wear or lack of oil. i'd replace it.

I was thinking that maybe there had been a small free play between crank and bearing which caused some thrust marks. But i guess i'll just replace it. Thanks for your help guys!