PDA

View Full Version : Ever try driving w/ no brakes!

Project-LXi
10-06-2003, 12:01 PM
Well, I was at a party the other night and I made the mistake of letting my step brother drive us to the corner store in my 3g, cuz I was too sloshed. On the way back he misses the turn, and tries to turn anyway! :mad: He crashes into the island at about 30 mph straight over 2 curbs with a load BAM! BAM!, and they are this type /--\ of curbs too!! Now im totally pissed off! :rant: I kick him out of the car and drive it my damn self, only now I notice there are next to no brakes and my exhaust makes a really load squeeking sound. So we get back to the party and a few hours later leave. On the way home the brakes were so bad they might as well have not even been there. I had to drive over "the hill" (HWY 17 CA) with no damn brakes and then up my hill which is even worse doing nothing but downshifting. (I had to use the brakes 2ce during the entire trip at stopsigns and I had to start braking from a LONG ASS way away)

So the next morning I look at my car, battery is totally dead for some unknown reason the exhaust is missing a clip and a heatshield is bent really bad, there are massive holes in my skid plates and there is brake fluid everwhere. I jacked up the car took the wheel off and found a brake line snapped (this wasnt a clean brake, it looked like they had been wearing down for a while and the hard braking and jolt finally seperated it).

So, Im picking up the new brake line today and will install it after work, all I know is one thing for certain: My jackass stepbrother is never driving my car again!!! :werd:

A20A1
10-06-2003, 12:19 PM
Yep I've driven with no brakes. The was a hole right where the brake line loops... ever since then I've added layers of tape the the lines to help keep off dirt and oil and to keep it from drying out.

iloveJDMblackrims69
10-06-2003, 03:15 PM
it would be much easier with manual tranny!! haha..but there is always the e-brake!

johndej
10-06-2003, 03:27 PM
yeah i was driving a buick one time and everything electronic just died. no breaks, powerstering, gass or anything. i put it in nuetral and managed to turn onto a strait road and just started slowly putting in the parking break to stop. i must say, it wasn't fun at all.

MrBen
10-06-2003, 03:40 PM
Yeah try having your brake lines burst on you. Scared the absolute hell out of me. I swear I nearly shit myself.

Jareds 89 LX-i
10-06-2003, 04:35 PM
Originally posted by GhettoAccord
Yeah try having your brake lines burst on you. Scared the absolute hell out of me. I swear I nearly shit myself.
That happened to me several years ago in my old Buick. Driving down the highway about 70 mph, went to hit the brakes, and BAM all the way to the floor. They didn't burst completely as to where it was squirting fluid everywhere, but both hoses had dried and cracked, and the outer layer of rubber had cracked so each time I hit the brakes the hoses would just swell up instead of applying pressure to the calipers. My e-brake didn't work, but luckily after pumping the pedal a few times they worked again almost normally. There was an exit just down the road a ways, so I went there to get more brake fluid. First thing I did though was head for the bathroom, cuz I was literally scared shitless! haha. What fun....LOL

89cordlx
10-06-2003, 06:16 PM
thats a good idea with the tape on the brake lines, maybe I'll do that, but maybe I should replace with new before doing that

Jareds 89 LX-i
10-06-2003, 06:26 PM
I replaced each and every brake hose on mine (nothing was wrong with the old ones, I just wanted new ones for the above reason). Got all new OEM ones from Honda which have worked great, and I feel much safer every time I step on the brake pedal.

MrBen
10-06-2003, 06:39 PM
Same here Jared! I bought one from Schucks and had second thoughts.... so I had them both replaced with Honda ones. So here's to another 16 years!

Project-LXi
10-07-2003, 10:35 PM
Originally posted by iloveJDMblackrims69
it would be much easier with manual tranny!! haha..but there is always the e-brake!

I have a 5 speed, but I didnt have a functional ebrake (needs to be adjusted)

deadlight
10-07-2003, 11:35 PM
Man that sucks, my girlfriend's parents gave me a beat ass chevy nova last summer when I was getting kicked out of my house and it never really had brakes, they were there for a bit at first but then almost completely went out, I had to use the handbrake all the time, or pump the brakes several times, when I did it didn't make much of a difference because the only one that worked was the front right.

my86dx4dr
10-12-2003, 03:10 PM
had a 76 nova, had no brakes but still fun to drive! i think a brake line was out, cuz the pedal went all the way to the floor and if i pushed hard when it was down there, the whells would lock up! that was how i stoped for 2 days!!! lol didnt hold me back on drivin it though, just made it funner