PDA

View Full Version : Oil from head gasket.. Torque it down?

jigga225
10-06-2003, 07:34 PM
mannn, i have oil leakin from around my head gasket. It's leakin about half a quart every few weeks. I replaced the valve cover gasket last week, I was wonderin if I took it off and torqued the head bolts down some could it stop that leak?
Think that would help?
How much should I torque it down to?

Jareds 89 LX-i
10-06-2003, 07:55 PM
NNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOO!!! Don't do that!

Are you absolutely sure it's coming out of the headgasket? Perhaps it's leaking out the cam seal or distributor o-ring(?) Have you done a compression and/or leakdown test on the cylinders? Cuz oil usually doesn't leak out from the headgasket, it will mix with the coolant internally. Have you checked the coolant and oil to make sure they don't look like chocolate milk? And you got the valve cover gasket on right without it bending or folding under in any corners or straight edges, right? Sealant?

Anyways, don't un-torque the head bolts unless you are replacing the headgasket too. Plus if you're replacing the headgasket, it's a good idea to have the head machined to make sure it's perfectly flat. Then the head bolts MUST be tightened progressively in a certain sequence, otherwise you can warp the head again simply from tightening the bolts wrong.

Double check where it's coming from... I doubt it's the headgasket that's leaking oil. It still could be, but I doubt it.

jigga225
10-07-2003, 01:24 PM
aiight aiight..... I'ma look a little closer
I'ma change my oil this weekend... i'll get a chance to look at my oil, but it has been regular color forever.
also the coolant is regular color when i look in the radiator.

thanks for the warnin

Jareds 89 LX-i
10-07-2003, 04:13 PM
If you're gonna change your oil, do this too. Buy a bunch of cans of brake cleaner and clean clean clean!! Get all the oil and grease off of everything in the engine bay (concentrating around where you think it's leaking. Get it squeaky clean so there's no evidence of oil leakage. Once you change your oil, and it starts leaking, you'll be able to easier see exactly where it's coming from.

Also, there is a dye you can get to add to your oil (just like for your a/c, which I use very often and it works GREAT!). This dye will greatly help reveal the exact location of your leak. I'm not sure if autoparts stores have it or not though.... have to call a few and ask.

DeathRat
10-08-2003, 04:36 AM
Originally posted by Jareds 89 LX-i
Also, there is a dye you can get to add to your oil (just like for your a/c, which I use very often and it works GREAT!). This dye will greatly help reveal the exact location of your leak. I'm not sure if autoparts stores have it or not though.... have to call a few and ask.
Most Dealerships carry it though. You'll need a "Black Light" too, to actually see the evidence though.