PDA

View Full Version : Tint???Myself or professional??

Whitie824
06-20-2002, 08:42 PM
Well I need to know If anyone has any advise about my tint situation. I am going to get 35% tint because thats what is legal in washington. But anyways, Ive seen my friends accord that he tinted himself and it looks good. The problem is, if you pay 20 dollars for a roll of tint, does that mean that you get what you pay for? I kinda think it does. For a really nice job, I am willing to go pay 185 or whatever because they are proffesionals. As long as they garantee that the tint wont go purple after awhile. That is one of my concerns about the roll on tint, and will it start to bubble??? Thanx for your advise

pimp86LX
06-20-2002, 09:05 PM
I would advise getting it done by a pro. and your right, you really get what you pay for...unless you really really know what your doing and do it right..i did my own cause i'm a cheap bastard and the heat and subs have made it fall off ..heh heh...the extra $$ will be worth it i think

good luck :flipa:

damackz
06-20-2002, 09:07 PM
go pro hehe man u can get ur 3 windows tinted here for like 120 cdn but yeah the lifetime guarantee is wellll worth it! also i have seen tooo many bubble tint jobs out there so go pro and save urself tha hassle

YK86
06-20-2002, 09:47 PM
I used to do my own tinting and sometimes for friends with that $20 stuff. The key to getting it right is a good knife and lots of soapy water. The rear is done by laying the tint on the rear glass and using a heat gun to form it into the shape of the glass so it doesn't wrinkle up and you don't need to do it in two or three pieces. But if you can afford it, take it to a pro. No matter how good of a job you do with the $20 stuff (no bubbles), it starts to bubble after a while (6 months to a year). The 86 and 88 I had both done by my friend who runs a window film business. Lifetime warranty, 99% UV rejection, and no worries about bubbles or dust.

Whitie824
06-20-2002, 09:54 PM
Thanx guys, I think I want to spend the money for a pro to do it. I dont want to deal with the bubble+purplefade bs

n300zx
06-20-2002, 10:19 PM
also make sure you get metallized tint becase it won't go purple on you where as dyed tint will after a while...

liht
06-20-2002, 11:57 PM
whats a good tint to get? like % wise? i heard 5% tint was good..i dont know.
im getting my tint done by like, the best tinter guy in AZ on tuesday, getting it for free basically. i just have to set up his bosses network (3 computers, easy easy).

MiGeY
06-21-2002, 06:58 AM
Personally I'm going to go pro. I know this place that will do it for 180 CA for the 5 windows, also I know a few peps that got it there so I know he is good. Lifetime warranty and all that as well.

87Hybrid
06-22-2002, 07:52 AM
I bought a video on e-bay that "shows you how to tint like a professional" havent had the guts to try it yet.

DBMaster
06-22-2002, 07:53 AM
Go to da pro! They just have more experience at tinting and can do the job in about an hour and save you hours of headache and wasted film. I got mine done in '91 and it still looks good, no purple or bubbles. too bad they weren't doing one piece back windows at the time, but they matched the seams to my defroster grid and you can't see them. It cost me $110 with a 10% off coupon even back then.

I got the Odyssey done last year at Artech here in Dallas. It cost $270. Lots of windows. They had this german made tint that is mettalized and has a very slight green in the color which looks really sharp with the Clover Green Pearl (dark mettalic green) on the van.

Either way, it's well worth it. My interior is not all all faded, no cracked vinyl, and the car stays a lot cooler inside. No way I would have a car without tint at this point.

Shagen
07-19-2002, 03:45 PM
If your willing to spend the money on professional then do it..Tint is so hard to do perfect, I have done one car and it looked good but not as good as professional plus roll tint usually does purple, but you could just paint your car to match:)