PDA

View Full Version : Which muffler?

Dibbs
10-07-2003, 06:21 AM
I'm looking for a muffler that had an angled rolled tip. Which brands typically make this style muffler?

Justin86
10-07-2003, 12:36 PM
Well don't expect it to sound good with a deep tone. Not to many mufflers come with a tip like you describe except for the "fart can" style mufflers. It might be better to get a muffler then by a "rolled out" tip.

Mike89Accordcom
10-07-2003, 02:08 PM
go to www.racerdesign.com They have tons of mufflers to choose from, as where I got mine from.

A20A1
10-07-2003, 04:32 PM
Damn Dibbie, I hope you weren't taking that pic of the bull. :D

Anyways just look for a regular muffler without a tip... then buy the tip you like after.
Tips cost about $5 - $10

here is another site to check out... last time I was there they were pricey.
http://www.speedandstyle.com/index_2.htm

This was the link I was looking for.
http://www.impactparts.com/rdx.htm

wprocomp
10-07-2003, 07:11 PM
try obx...they have a ton of diff styles and dont cost that much either

Dibbs
10-08-2003, 06:02 AM
:lol

No Mike. Not me behind the camera although I do feel sorry for that guy. I do want to run with the bulls just once before I die. That would be one helluva rush.

Anyway, back to the topic....

Justin, you answered my second question. I'm not looking for a lot of performance out of this muffler. Sound and style are my two main issues. I guess I will take mike's advice and get a good quality sounding muffler with no tip and buy the tip seperate.

Any suggestions on mufflers with a good deep tone? Does round or oval shaped muffler bodies make a difference in tone? I would imagine so but I'd like to hear your input.

Justin86
10-09-2003, 03:04 PM
Originally posted by Dibbie
:lol

No Mike. Not me behind the camera although I do feel sorry for that guy. I do want to run with the bulls just once before I die. That would be one helluva rush.

Anyway, back to the topic....

Justin, you answered my second question. I'm not looking for a lot of performance out of this muffler. Sound and style are my two main issues. I guess I will take mike's advice and get a good quality sounding muffler with no tip and buy the tip seperate.

Any suggestions on mufflers with a good deep tone? Does round or oval shaped muffler bodies make a difference in tone? I would imagine so but I'd like to hear your input.

Well the sound of the muffler depends highly on the location. Now the closer you put the mufler to the header like where the cat used to be it will sound deeper. My flowmaster has a little rasp sound at certain RPM's and it is at the rear. If you noticed that a lot of the V8 guys are moving there muffler up closer to the front of the car. Yes once again they are right.
One thing that will fit there is a glass pack. If you want it loud and deep just get one but if you want it a little quiter then go with two. The nice thing is that they are cheap so you won't be so pissed if it dosen't sound perfect, or have it set up like stock is a glass pack under the center of the car and then a muffler at the end. A lot of this is playing around with what you get and where you put it. I now a guy that has change his exhaust 4 times in a few month period to get it just right. But for the best sound and performance go with a Flowmaster or a Dynomax. They make them in odd sizes so you probably could find one that will fit under the center of the car.

Justin86
10-09-2003, 03:42 PM
Oh yea forgot about the tip. I don't have any pic's some bare with me. Are are basically two style of tips. Rolled-in and rolled-out. Pretty simple the tip on one will roll away form the center of the pipe and the other comes back in making the tip look a little smaller then it actaully is. DO not get a rolled-out tip unless it is small. http://www.3geez.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=24386

Justin86
10-09-2003, 04:35 PM
Well about the only place to put anothr muffler would be under the shift linkage. It is about 10"x17" with the heat sheild removed. Other thing would is that the inlet and outlet would both have to match up and be offset. Do you want this to be loud or mellow. Flowmaster 40 (what I got) loud as hell and will get people to look. Flowmaster 60 will still have a deep tone but more mild it how loud it is. But inorder to get the deep tone you need to go up to 2.25" piping!!!