PDA

View Full Version : 3gee radiator info needed

meangreenLXi
10-07-2003, 11:13 AM
I'm gonna get a new radiator from radiator.com, or maybe it's remanufactured at $109 lifetime warranty. They asked me what engine type did i have, I'm not sure what info they want, my engine it's A20A3, correct me if i'm wrong 1989 LX-i. 2.0 or 1.8 litre LXi auto :stick: :sadwave:

Vinny
10-07-2003, 12:20 PM
just tell them 2.0

DBMaster
10-07-2003, 12:26 PM
It will be a NEW radiator. It seems like no matter where you get them they are all right around $100 and come with lifetime warranties. Maybe they figure you're no likely to keep the car long enough to need a third radiator.

meangreenLXi
10-07-2003, 12:58 PM
2.0 cool, thanx for the info guys, is it easy enough to change out the radiator. They are talkin about $90 - 130 for the labor and that's not gonna happen this millenium. I'll do it myself or my mechanic may be able to do it for me real cheap.

Vinny
10-07-2003, 03:07 PM
you should be able to do it yourself, look in the manual before you try though. Its only 2 radiator hoses and if you have an auto 2 cooler lines. Only thing you really have to take off is the bracket above the radiator, its only a few bolts

zero.counter
10-07-2003, 03:09 PM
Just be sure not to drain it in your yard or in the storm drains, the old one that is. I would recommend replacing the hoses and thermostat while you are there as well. It never hurts to think ahead.

DBMaster
10-07-2003, 06:43 PM
I wouldn't worry about the hoses unless they look bad. Honda must make their hoses out of something indestructible because mine are still like new after 14 years.

I generally change my thermostat every time I do the timing belt since you have to drain some coolan out to replace the water pump, anyway.

zero.counter
10-07-2003, 06:52 PM
Originally posted by DBMaster
I wouldn't worry about the hoses unless they look bad. Honda must make their hoses out of something indestructible because mine are still like new after 14 years.

I generally change my thermostat every time I do the timing belt since you have to drain some coolan out to replace the water pump, anyway.

But then there are many factors to take into consideration such as climate and its effect on the wear of parts, current hose condition, how well the parts were taken caroe of or their condition, neglect, the fact that the hoses and thermostat together cost around $25 at your local automotive parts dealer.

There are some cliches that come to mind:
Better safe than sorry

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

Better now than never
Save now or pay later

Well, you get the point.

DBMaster
10-07-2003, 06:59 PM
Except, that some aftermarket hoses are crap.

That's about all I am saying. I check my hoses periodically and don't plan on replacing them if they are still good.

That's just because of the saying, "If it ain't broke..." You get the idea.

wprocomp
10-07-2003, 07:00 PM
ahh yes...zero very wise man...use mind very well:D

DBMaster
10-08-2003, 06:14 AM
And, he who farts in church sits in his own pew.

:)