PDA

View Full Version : Big Problem

Zer0
10-07-2003, 02:04 PM
I need help, i should be at class right now but my car has been giving me trouble. Ever since i got it whenever i put about 170 miles on a tank of gas my car starts to run bad, it will just seem to stop getting gas and when i press on the gas the tach doesnt go up, then most of the time it will finally kick in if i press the pedal enough. And it would die at some corners if i stopped fast. I thought it might be the fuel pump, so i am going to try and check the line pressure. Does anyone know what might be causeing this.

k-roy
10-07-2003, 02:10 PM
That is weird, try changing the fuel filters. I fell like a salesmen for them, I have suggested that fix about a dozen times in the last week. It could definitly be the pump though.

A20A1
10-08-2003, 12:57 PM
Isn't there a check valve that is supposed to hold fuel pressure... maybe that is faulty... or your pump is weak... or your fuel pick up has a hole in it or it could be clogged at the fuel pick up filter that sits on the end.... we have 3 filters in all.

oh wait... forget that... you have an LX-I... hmm.

k-roy
10-08-2003, 01:45 PM
Oh crap its an LXi, try cleaning the injectors.
http://www.diynet.com/diy/ab_auto_fuel_system/article/0,2021,DIY_13679_2276265,00.html

4sillypwr
10-09-2003, 08:02 PM
Could be a number of things. Including all of the above. I'll add crappy gas at the bottom of the tank.

1988starter
10-10-2003, 02:42 AM
get a new gasket for the gas cap to make sure it is keeping presure.

NXRacer
10-10-2003, 07:27 AM
a common problem on old gas tanks is that a lot of sediment will start to collect in the bottom so if you make sure you always have more then say 1/4 tank then you wont have to worry about sucking up sediment.

Zer0
10-14-2003, 12:32 PM
thanks to everyone for the help, i changed the fuel filter, and put some dry up in the tank incase it was water at the bottom becuase there seemed to be water in the fuel filter. But its still doing it. But when i took out the filter it was filled with a orange like water stuff with crap in it, so i think i have lots of crap at the bottom of the tank, but i still havent checked the pressure cause i dont want to buy a gauge, but i will most likely drop the tank and if i have any money might get a new fuel pump just for good measure. But thanks for the help, anyone know if it could be anything else.