PDA

View Full Version : timing belt...

Gregs89AccordLxi
06-20-2002, 09:11 PM
I've been putting it off for a while but i need to replace the timing belt (got a 100,000 miles on it), i would try to do it myself but i dont want to chance messing anything up... I got some quotes to get it done, the cheapest was $205. Does it sound like a good price? or should i keep on searching, Thanks

ELM'sLX+CHL'sDX
06-20-2002, 09:50 PM
It's about average if includes an original Honda timing belt. I would recommend you change the tensionner as well.

Claude

DBMaster
06-21-2002, 09:12 AM
I have heard several people talk about changing the tensioner which doesn't sound like a bad idea. I am on my third timing belt and so far the tensioner has held up well. Last time I changed the belt (at 160,000 miles) the tensioner still seemed brand new. So, here I am with 196,000 miles on the original. The tensioner gets very little lateral force on it and contains roller bearings so I am not sure it is essential to change it, but why not.

Make sure that price includes the water pump! ONLY go with a real Honda water pump. They are $37 online which is actually cheaper than aftermarket and Honda's bearing/seal design is patented. I used a good quality, new aftermarket pump las time that cost me $45 and the bearing became noisy after only 18,000 miles. I considered it alesson learned an installed an Honda pump. I also, change the thermostat while I have the coolant drained. It's cheap insurance and that way you will never have one go bad on you.