PDA

View Full Version : Question about CV joints/axles/shafts...

offthahook
06-20-2002, 10:18 PM
Okay first, explain to me what they are called. The CV joint is part of the whole halfshaft assembly, right? Is it an axle per se? Also, does it matter the transmission type for an 89 lx-i? I could see maybe the pass side being different for 5 spd. vs. manual, but wouldn't the driver's side be the same regardless of trans. type? Are rebuilt ones (which is all you can really get) more prone to failure? They cost like $45, so I can't see how they can be that great of a rebuild. Are certain brands better than others when it comes to AM purchases? Just curious cuz it seems everybody I know has the originals last for like 135K, then the rebuilt ones last like 50K. Honda ones are hella $$$ and I think they are reman., too. TIA.

ACCORD EX
06-21-2002, 01:27 AM
i would go with the originals though they cost too much !

here is a pic on the C.V joints diagram in my Haynes manual !
BTW the C.V ain't similar , i mean the left one isn;t as long as the right one ! :D don't know if manual differs from auto !

MIKE

shepherd79
06-21-2002, 08:47 AM
well,
i got my drive shafts for like $79 at autozone(doesn't include the core price). It has lifetime warranty, or when ever i sell the car. i changed them twice, the first time they started to click after 3 month. so i took to my buddy and ge gave me new ones. Didn't cost me a penny.

ACCORD EX
06-21-2002, 12:45 PM
Originally posted by shepherd79
well,
i got my drive shafts for like $79 at autozone(doesn't include the core price). It has lifetime warranty, or when ever i sell the car. i changed them twice, the first time they started to click after 3 month. so i took to my buddy and ge gave me new ones. Didn't cost me a penny.

life time warranty on C.V ! that's great man : :super:

MIKE

Jareds 89 LX-i
06-21-2002, 10:59 PM
My originals went out at about 180-190k. Knowing the mechanic that replaced them, they were most likely remans from CarQuest. Now just over 100k miles later, I am starting to hear an occasional clicking in turns, but it doesn't do it very often. Usually just when it's cooler outside or when I'm starting from a stop on a hill and turning at the same time.

I believe one side (probably pass side like you said) are different between the manual and auto trans. I'm not positive though :rolleyes: