PDA

View Full Version : Seatcovers

k-roy
10-08-2003, 11:52 AM
Does anyone know of a good looking set of matching seatcovers for the front and rear? I have a few cigarette burns from dipshits riding im my car (no more of that). I have a grey interior. Anybody have pics?

danronian
10-08-2003, 06:46 PM
If I were you I would go to the local U-pull and get a set of seats for the same price as high quality seat covers that won't fall apart in a month. Generally it is about $30 for a set of seat covers and about $40 for a set of used seats. I found spotless seats out of a 90K mile car to put in mine and I love them. No more worn out material and bolster support that isnt crushed. And if you feel like making a project, upgrade to some prelude front seats for some extra support for the same price. I have tried many seat covers for my malibu, this car, and my dad has used many on his past truck, and I have never seen a seat cover last long at all. I have tried ones that range all the way up to $50 for just the front in the malibu, and they still got worn out in a few months.

3G Jester
10-08-2003, 08:51 PM
go to walmart. type r seat covers will give you weight reduction AND 15 hp or so.

k-roy
10-08-2003, 09:21 PM
I refuse to shop at Wal-Mart

blazin3gen
10-08-2003, 09:31 PM
maybe

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=33702&item=2435336713

3G Jester
10-08-2003, 09:32 PM
walmart has great stuff man theres like 200 hp + worth of mods in their sticker and light isle for cars.

k-roy
10-08-2003, 10:31 PM
Those ebay covers look allright. I am not a fan of leather or fake leather. I am looking for something that I will not stick to, like tweed, hemp would kick ass.

Art 1
10-09-2003, 10:45 AM
I'm with Jester.
Want more hp? I know just the thing: Any Xplode product. Shyeah!

HostileJava
10-09-2003, 10:47 AM
Watch it bitch two of the amps in my car are xplodes :D . I would do the prelude seat swap.

k-roy
10-09-2003, 12:59 PM
Prelude seats are cool, I'll probably get a couple and then reupholster the them along with the back in tweed.
I have Xplode speakers in the front doors. $40 and thry are not too bad.The Polk Ex 6x9s in the back are better. They would all sound better with a new deck. Oh shit a mod i never mentioned, Rear 6x9 speakerboxes out of a 93 Accord Ex.

HostileJava
10-12-2003, 08:23 AM
The 89 SE-i's had 6x9 speaker pods in the back deck. :D

zero.counter
10-12-2003, 07:38 PM
Originally posted by kroy
Does anyone know of a good looking set of matching seatcovers for the front and rear? I have a few cigarette burns from dipshits riding im my car (no more of that). I have a grey interior. Anybody have pics?
I was going to suggest these, seat covers (http://www.jcw.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?productId=6632&catalogId=10102&langId=-1&storeId=10101) , but I did not see our model of accord listed. They also don't show a choice of colors.

Aside from re-upholstering, I would suggest visiting Autozone or Pep Boys for their "Fabulous" selection of after market seat covers...;)

HondaBoy
10-16-2003, 02:52 PM
i would say get some new-ish seats from the junk yard. i got my 2 front prelude seats for $25, not each, but for the pair. i got the folding portion of my back seat for $15 from another place.

PerformanceNewbie87
10-17-2003, 05:47 PM
dude, seat covers are real expensive. i might as well buy new seats or get my stuff re upholstered....cars arent cheap man...lol

zero.counter
10-18-2003, 01:10 PM
Originally posted by PerformanceNewbie87
dude, seat covers are real expensive. i might as well buy new seats or get my stuff re upholstered....cars arent cheap man...lol
Hey dude, not everyone is broke. Some of us here have stable jobs and can see seat covers as an option. :lol

k-roy
10-19-2003, 05:26 PM
Originally posted by zero.counter
Hey dude, not everyone is broke. Some of us here have stable jobs and can see seat covers as an option. :lol

Yea, I am not broke, just cheap.

I think I will do custom tweed myself. It should not cost much more than $100 and look nicer than aftermarket covers. I might as well redo the doors, rear deck and headliner while I am at it.

Dibbs
10-20-2003, 09:09 AM
Yea, I am not broke, just cheap.

I think I will do custom tweed myself. It should not cost much more than $100 and look nicer than aftermarket covers. I might as well redo the doors, rear deck and headliner while I am at it.

:lol

Have you upholstered seats before? Have you done a headliner before? Have you removed the door panels w/o breaking the clips? If your answer to any of these questions is "NO" then I would suggest NOT trying anything you just suggested by yourself.

I've been learning upholstery work from my father-in-law for nearly 4 years now and I'm still not comfortable enough to sew up my own seats w/o my father-in-law watching everything I do to make sure I don't screw it up.

The headliner, I could probably give a "how-to" on but it would take a while to write up. It can be done w/ some relative ease as long as you don't have a sunroof. You still need a trim puller and a tucking tool of some sort.

Door panels are kinda like doing your seats. If you don't know how to do seats, it's probably best not to do them by yourself.

I'm not tryin' to call you out or anything. I'm just worried you'll get started doing something you won't be able to finish. Then your car will look like crap. Honestly, I'm just trying to help you out. I you have any questions I'll be more than happy to answer.

Bloodlust
10-20-2003, 09:30 AM
Originally posted by HostileJava
Watch it bitch two of the amps in my car are xplodes :D . I would do the prelude seat swap.

Hey Hostile you know how much horsepower a sticker can give you, I mean look at my banner, it helped me fly by you yesterday!!! :lol

k-roy
10-20-2003, 09:36 AM
Dibbie, thanks for the advice.
I have done headliners and doors before. It is not too difficult. Never done seats. I plan on stripping them myself, cutting the new pieces and finding someone to sew them together.

HostileJava
10-20-2003, 09:42 AM
Originally posted by Bloodlust
Hey Hostile you know how much horsepower a sticker can give you, I mean look at my banner, it helped me fly by you yesterday!!! :lol

It helps if you don't fly by me while I'm driving in the middle of the damn turn only lane waiting for you to pull even with me. :D But I'll give you that one if it make ya feel better. I still say swap the seats and out then you can reupolster them if you want but don't do the stock seat. If your interior would match grey seats. I have some grey leather accord seats for a Coupe.

Bloodlust
10-20-2003, 09:51 AM
Originally posted by HostileJava
It helps if you don't fly by me while I'm driving in the middle of the damn turn only lane waiting for you to pull even with me. :D But I'll give you that one if it make ya feel better.

:D Hey I told you I got confused. Plus there was a mini van behind me so I couldnt slow down. I probably should have turned off to the side of the road or something. We will have to try it some other time. You gonna be on AIM today or what?

And back on topic I am totally against seat covers, unless your seats are so focked up that they need something to be done

Temporary=seatcovers
Permanent=seat swap

Just my 2 cents.

Dibbs
10-20-2003, 11:08 AM
Dibbie, thanks for the advice.
I have done headliners and doors before. It is not too difficult. Never done seats. I plan on stripping them myself, cutting the new pieces and finding someone to sew them together.

If you do that be sure cut the pieces EXACT if you go with cloth. Don't go to Cloth World for your fabric either. Go to an upholstery supply that has automotive fabric samples. Furniture fabric is a LOT different that Automotive fabric. Furniture fabric will last about a years worth of normal getting in and out of your car use. The weave of the fabric will separate, then start splitting. Also when you break down the seats, you have to remember where the fabric pulls are so you'll know where to hog ring them back when putting the covers on in the front. Our front seats are bucketed so deep that it can get quite difficult to attatch the pulls back to the seat frame. It looks REAL good if it's done right. I should post pics of my seats one day. I think they look better than Pearldrop's seats from his 3g (shhh don't tell him I said that). Just my opinion though.

Kroy, you were talking about hemp, I have some fabric samples in one of my sample books that looks a lot like hemp. It's really rough and thick woven, almost like a burlap feel. It reminds me a lot of hemp, so I think you might be able to find what you're looking for. Also, is I were doing the seats I would charge $150 for stock look seats each if you were doing cloth and I would charge $200 for the back seats. That's $500 to do your seats. Half of that would be materials so you might want to think if it's worth $250 to pay someone to do your seats for you b/c it will no doubt take many weekends worth of work to get them to look right. Just a thought.

pearldrop
10-20-2003, 12:53 PM
I wish I had more pictures, but there were zero flaws in my seats. So if they look better, it is just because of color/material choice.
http://geocities.com/caddy20s/accordinterior.txt

k-roy
10-20-2003, 12:57 PM
Pearldrop, that is a sharp interior. What did you use on the dash?

Dibbs
10-20-2003, 01:13 PM
I'm just playin Pearldrop. I knew that would get a rise outta ya ;) The buckets in mine are a bit deeper. I shaved the headrests on my fronts. They're dark blue with white inserts. The white inserts are sewn with the same color blue thread at a 45 deg angle pointing down toward the center console, spaced about 1-1/4 in apart. I thought about getting white welt cord to accent like you did w/ the black but I kept it matching blue.

I love your interior though, seriously, I was just kidding earlier. I'm gonna try to post pics in the next couple of days so you can see them.

pearldrop
10-20-2003, 01:36 PM
I knew you were kidding, but I had to respond anyway. The seats in the wagon are going to get done in all gray tweed with no headrests and raised flames. I should have those done by spring.
The dash was done with Sikkens interior paint. It is a two part paint that must be sprayed out of a gun. Spray cans will never compare to it in wear and look. It isn't terribly expensive either. I only paid about $140 for everything I needed to do every plastic piece in my car.

wprocomp
10-20-2003, 01:41 PM
hey pearl is there a primer base for that interior paint or is it pre-mixed? that looks really nice...I wanted to do my interior in the factory color so anything you can tell me about what to do and what not to do would help:)also what did you use to prep the dash and the other parts for paint?

pearldrop
10-20-2003, 02:16 PM
I used a professional quality degreaser made by Sikkens ($24 a gallon -- the best investment I have ever made) that I bought at the paint store when I got the paint. There is no primer or clearcoat, it just sprays right on and it dries in minutes. If there is any dirt in the paint, you can just wipe your hand across it and it will be gone. It is the easiest stuff I ever worked with.
Basically, I just wiped it ten times with degreaser, scuffed it lightly and then degreased it three more times. You can never get a dashboard clean enough if armor all has ever touched it.
Then you can spray it on, you would actually have to try to make it run. I only used two coats to get coverage with white over a brown base.
All you do to mix the paint is a 50/50 mix with what is just basically a reducer.

The paint can also be mixed as any color that you have a paint code for. It can exactly match the exterior color if you want it to.

Dibbs
10-21-2003, 09:23 AM
I've got a raised tribal design that I'm going to do in my door panels. I drew it to look like a horse but some have said it looks like a demon. Anyway, what type of foam did you use for the raised pattern in your panels.

ryan88lxi
10-21-2003, 08:38 PM
www.wetokole.com

3G Jester
10-21-2003, 08:50 PM
pearl drop. are your seats leather? im looking at doing the seats in the AV6 black leather, with red stitching/accents and poosibly accord, honda or an H stamped or embrodered in the seat.

is it leather? and what kind?

Dibbs
10-22-2003, 07:23 AM
Originally posted by ryan88lxi
www.wetokole.com

:barf:

Just my opinion Ryan. I don't like seatcovers for a few reasons:

1. You still have to go to an upholstery shop to put them on your seats if you want them to look good. I know a guy who is a certified installer for Katzkins seat covers. He says almost every time, he has to take the seat covers apart, trim the material to fit correctly and sew it back up before he can install it. By then, he could have made new seatcovers to fit.

2. They claim leather, but only the inserts are leather and the rest is imitation. Yet they still want to charge an all leather price.

3. They will nickel and dime you to death for customizing your seatcovers. Take piping (welt cord). I get that stuff for $0.19 a yard and IMO it's actually easier to sew the seat with piping than to double stitch. I can get any custom ebroidery done for $10 each design. Of course the customer will pay more but not anything close to what they want to charge.

Take it for what you will but I can do Honda 3g seats for $100-150 each and $200-250 for the rear, depending on what material or custom sewing you want done.

Jester, here's my take on leather:

Don't believe the hype! Leather is:
A. Expensive as hell
B. A bitch to clean and maintain.
C. A nightmare for an upholsterer, which means an upcharge on top of everything.

There are some Leather knock-off fabrics that look so damn close, you would have to look at the back of the fabric to tell the difference, and as far as I know, nobody can see the back of the material when the seats are done. The knock-off is so detailed, it matches the grain of the leather and it feels like leather when you run your hands over it.

The best part about it is that it's vinyl, which is the cheapest material to have your seats covered in. You can clean it with any upholstry cleaner without destroying it and it's an upholsterer's dream. Vinyl is very plyable, so it can be undercut and stretched for a nice tight fit. Plus, you can get it in almost any color. Leather is often limited on colors b/c it's such an expensive material, they don't want to make any weird colors for a fear of not being able to sell it.

That's my opinion on the issue. Take it for what it's worth. I just thought I would try to bring some facts to light for anyone interested in having their seats done.

pearldrop
10-22-2003, 09:21 AM
My seats were vinyl and nobody could tell the difference. Everybody said my car was the one with the white leather interior, even after I told them it was vinyl. I did vinyl mainly because it is so much easier to take care of and clean than leather, especially in white. I still had to pay a lot for it because I wanted the good vinyl ($26 a linear yard) but it is better than the leather price ($7 per square inch).

For the raised tribal designs I use sheets of closed cell foam that they sell at art stores like Michael's. I have to double them because they aren't thick enough but they work perfect.
http://geocities.com/caddy20s/preludenewtrunk.txt

Dibbs
10-22-2003, 09:40 AM
Freakin' beautiful Pearl... :bow:

3G Jester
10-22-2003, 02:23 PM
7 bucks a square inch?!?!?! FUUUUUUUUCK that. im going vinyl.

Micah 89LXi
10-25-2003, 12:06 AM
walmart has some OEM ones that look like the same pattern and material as mine..but they dont have bugundy..so i guess ima have to change the colour to black or grey...they also got blue..$30 somethin...they look really nice..

AznImports602
10-25-2003, 07:15 PM
http://images.cardomain.com/member_images/3/web/255000-255999/255613_5.jpg
http://images.cardomain.com/member_images/3/web/255000-255999/255613_9.jpg
$15 buck for each seat cover, bought it at autozone.

jigga89SEi
10-25-2003, 11:16 PM
Don't know if you saw this or not... http://www.3geez.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=16861 .....The pics aren't posted on this page anymore but it is referencing seat reappolstering....You can click below to see the seats

bambamky
10-26-2003, 09:09 AM
My wife went to Advance and got me some black seat covers with blue flames on them they look sweet and they are torn up and Ive had them for a few months now!

88accordhatchdx
10-26-2003, 08:34 PM
Got a R racing seatcover added at least 15 HP, lol