PDA

View Full Version : O2 sensor smoking

meangreenLXi
10-09-2003, 05:47 AM
I recently patched a hole in the neck of my radiator with JB Weld. The radiator was spitting out fluid from the pressure. Now that I've got that patched, I still see little white puffs of smoke coming from under the hood every five or six stop lights. When i finally made it to my destination i can clearly see smoke coming off of the O2 sensor, I thought it was still some antifreeze burning off because of the temp in our area it's still damp in a spot or two in between the radiator and heat shield of the header. Could it be oil burning off the sensor, it doesn't look like anything wet jumped on it. :werd: :sadwave:

A20A1
10-10-2003, 10:31 PM
hmm it could be leaking... throw some degreaser on there and wash it down.

shepherd79
10-11-2003, 04:36 AM
i think you still have some radiator problems. go to junk yard and get user radiator, they are cheap and you won't have to worry about overheating on busy highway.

4sillypwr
10-11-2003, 09:42 PM
If your o2 was leaking it would look and smell exactly like exhaust cuz it's exhaust. I would be more inclined to believe that you still had a rad leak. JB weld dosn't work all that well on rads.

meangreenLXi
10-12-2003, 03:08 AM
First of all, thanx for the info. I went to three different places on friday to find out what this was. I took my car back to the place where I had the O2 sensor installed, he said it was a radiator problem still.

When I got there before anyone arrived. It was smoking again, I lifted the hood to inspect and I saw a fluid leak from the hose between the radiator and engine. It wasn't attached to the radiator at all. I pointed that out to the guy and he said yeah it's radiator not that hose i pointed out, he said that was the powr steering line, you got a radiator leak.

I get to a radiator shop and it's smoking and I have the guy look at my car while it's still smoking. He goes down and says it's probably a hole in the bottom of the radiator and he says his pressure tester or something like that is broken and he sends me to another radiator shop down the road.

I get there and I have another radiator guy look at my car and he's like it's not your radiator, he goes under the car and yells up, this is oil. I point out to him the power steering hose and he's like yeah that's it, that's where you leak is at.

The hose for the powersteering is around$330 or $350. Is this the deal? Does anyone know if an older one would work out okay?

I believe the reason my old one got a leak was because I added the Konig's 17"s. My car has leaked for about a month to a month and a half after I but them on this year. I thought it was an oil leak from the engine oil. I'm sure all the parts on my car are original except I know the belts have been changed and I had the alt changed. So the addition of the bigger wheels could have caused excessive pressure on the hose and forced a hole.

meangreenLXi
10-12-2003, 12:27 PM
if anyone knows where I can get this hose cheaper lemme know, i'm gonna check napa and the auto parts places but if you know somewhere online where it's cheaper. I heard DB master saying he got his for $26 from napa five years ago, has anyone done it lately. I checked napa online and they have one for $30 for our cars but it's some different type, not the lxi, it's some other kind I wonder if this is the same one? http://www.napaonline.com/cgi-bin/ncommerce3/ExecMacro/NAPAonline/search_results_jt.d2w/report?pcc_ids=2713&acc_pcc_ids=&ENG=24%7C2.0+L++1955+CC++L4&search_string=&org_string=&considered_txt=PC

meangreenLXi
10-15-2003, 10:53 AM
I got the hose at autozone for $75, I bought it on impulse. I saw it at pepboys for same price and a better quality one for $134, I figured autozone has it now in stock, it's $225 cheaper than I thought it would be, it has a lifetime warranty, what the hey, I took it. My mechanic is going to put it in for me for $20 and a bottle of his favorite booze. Can't beat that with a baseball bat.