PDA

View Full Version : Timing belt longevity

valerit1
10-09-2003, 09:08 AM
Hi,

How many had their timing belt lasted to 90,000
and more (and how many years)? Anyone had it break
before this mark? In what climate (hot or cold)?
Thanks,

Val

NXRacer
10-09-2003, 09:52 AM
i think its recommended that honda timing belts be replaced every 70K miles. I never replaced the one in my car and it had 185K and i didnt have records when it was replaced. the good thing about our cars is that they are NOT interferance engines so if it does break you dont FUBAR your motor.

when in question, replace!

bobafett
10-09-2003, 09:59 AM
mine lasted 150k, and when i replaced it it still looked fine. they are supposed to be changed every 60k with a honda belt

AZmike
10-09-2003, 10:24 AM
Rubber parts deteriorate with time also; Honda recommends 6 year life for a timing belt.

kevins89lxi
10-09-2003, 12:04 PM
If it belt snaps and you have to put a new one on how do you know that the engine is lined up right? With the TDC and the bottom crank? That is where I am at and do not know what to do from here?

AZmike
10-09-2003, 03:41 PM
There are marks on the flywheel and cam gear to identify TDC for each one seprately. The 'T' mark lines up with the pointer on the flywheel and there are two shallow cuts in the cam gear that line up with the top of the cylinder head with the up arrow pointing directly away from the crank.

4sillypwr
10-09-2003, 07:32 PM
Wait! A20's arent interferiance engines? clue me in i missed that one.

DarkRedAccord
10-10-2003, 04:40 AM
Some new cars require timing belt change at 105,000 miles and manufacturers won't take a risk when they recommend such an interval. I would guess that belts manufactured today would probably last on the average (i.e., 50 % of the belts failing at this mileage) 120K to 130K. Of course some belts may break much earlier. So the question is how much risk do you want to take to save how many dollars? The answer to this question is not universal and varies from one individual to other.

DeathRat
10-10-2003, 05:24 AM
Originally posted by NXRacer
the good thing about our cars is that they are NOT interferance engines so if it does break you dont FUBAR your motor.

when in question, replace!

Originally posted by 4sillypwr
Wait! A20's arent interferiance engines? clue me in i missed that one.

I was also under the impression that the A20A1's were interference fit engines????:huh: I have been told numerous times already that if the belt snaps you're gonna need at least a new head & maybe some pistons too.:mad:
How about some more light on this please.

valerit1
10-10-2003, 06:21 AM
Do they make the replacement belts for the 3d gen from the
newer material or the same old used for the ones installed
in the 80s?

Val

BTW - everywhere I check I get an answer the accord engines
ARE the interference engines, as practically all the Honda engines.

4sillypwr
10-10-2003, 10:22 PM
Thank you . that one threw me for a loop. i would've bet mad money that they are interferance engines.

AccordEpicenter
10-12-2003, 04:58 PM
they are said to be interference engines (I believe honda says so too), but ive never seen one break from losing a t belt.

Jareds 89 LX-i
10-12-2003, 05:41 PM
Originally posted by AccordEpicenter
they are said to be interference engines (I believe honda says so too), but ive never seen one break from losing a t belt.
That's correct.... they are indeed interference engines, meaning that damage CAN occur if the belt snaps. However, often times with these motors when the belt breaks, it won't do any damage. Don't let that be a false sense of security though, cuz if it breaks it might bend all the valves and screw up the pistons, or it could do nothing at all in damage. Too much of a risk for me to want to take though!

accordlxi2.0
10-12-2003, 05:46 PM
when i was at lti
my instrutor was saying what'll happen if the timing belt or chain break's.
and this guy he has and accord i think it was carbed.
and he drove this car all crazy he only has one problem with it.
he say's the the instructor ; i had put over 200000 on my car and the belt did'nt break.
the teach was like your a dumbass . . . . . . but he was curious to know what kinda car.
so there's proof that our engine's aren't interference.
i think my honda dealership said it was'nt an interferance.

zero.counter
10-12-2003, 05:59 PM
When the timing belt breaks the camshaft or camshafts stop almost instantly while the pistons continue to move. If the valves ( the camshaft opens and closes the valves ) stop in an open position and the pistons are still moving upward they will hit the valves, this could bend or break them both. The engine could have to be replaced if that happens. Since no one can predict when the timing belt will break it's better to follow the vehicle manufacturer's recommended service schedule.

BTW, they are intereference type engines since there are no provisions in place to correct so.

For your 1988 HONDA ACCORD:

TIMING BELT SPECIFICATION

INTERFERENCE ENGINE APPLICATION
SUBSTANTIAL AND COSTLY ENGINE DAMAGE CAN OCCUR IF
BELT BREAKS OR SLIPS.
MANUFACTURER DOES NOT RECOMMEND A SPECIFIC
MAINTENANCE CHECK. LOOK IN SERVICE INFORMATION MANUAL.

4sillypwr
10-13-2003, 10:12 AM
They are interference engine. it depends on what rpm you are going when you throw it. I threw on at about 5k in mi sisters accord and bent 4 valves and cracked a piston. don't be fooled into thinking you can just drive it until it breaks and then just replace it. it's a $30 part. don't be a noob, replace it.

dysiu
10-14-2003, 07:11 AM
Honda's engine is an interferiance one but... in practice nothing happens when you have one camshaft. DOHC interference engines are a different story. Mine broke after 60k but it was 9 years old... If you don't drive too far away from home you can just give it a try and wait till it brakes. Also you don't have to replace your water pump at the same time (as most mechanics recommend). In Honda those two parts are relatively independent and you don't have to take the belt off to replace the pump.

Replacing the belt is not too bad. I did it myself and it was my first major car repair in my life. Even if you mess sth up you won't bend the valves or break the pistons.

X-Lr8
10-14-2003, 10:19 AM
88 accord LXi - 222765.3 Miles heh i got it changed yesterday and the belt still looked like it can go another 100k

;)

4sillypwr
10-14-2003, 12:25 PM
It dosn't matter if it's dohc or sohc. if it breaks at any kind of rpm you could be screwed. true, some people get away with it. for $30 and an hour I'll be safe. The a-series engine is one of the very few honda engines that uses a belt driven waterpump. Every other honda uses a water pump drive by the timing belt. It's about where our oil pump is. most other hondas have a crankshaft driven oil pump

MilTownSHO
10-16-2003, 10:18 PM
I think I'll take my chances...

4sillypwr
10-17-2003, 06:21 PM
Originally posted by MilTownSHO
I think I'll take my chances...

Best of luck to you.

accordlxi2.0
10-19-2003, 12:07 PM
my brother took off the valve cover gasket to change it and he point something out where i'm kinda confused.
i looked and i don't see how it could be an interference engine.
'cause when it snaps.
the vavle springs are stronger than the cam itself so when it break's those valve springs go up stopping the cam.
so now i'm confused once again.

4sillypwr
10-19-2003, 04:11 PM
Ok you are thinking of this wrong. If you put the piston at it's highest point TDC. ANd then you put the valves fully open they will hit. Yes the cam will stop turning but the odds are pretty good that if the cam is stopped with one or more of the valves fully open the pistons will eventually hit them. Hope that helps.

rdn
10-20-2003, 05:10 AM
Originally posted by 4sillypwr
Ok you are thinking of this wrong. If you put the piston at it's highest point TDC. ANd then you put the valves fully open they will hit. Yes the cam will stop turning but the odds are pretty good that if the cam is stopped with one or more of the valves fully open the pistons will eventually hit them. Hope that helps.

that's correct.....i had to change the whole head (cheapest option) after a broken timing belt...

4sillypwr
10-20-2003, 11:29 AM
Originally posted by rdn
that's correct.....i had to change the whole head (cheapest option) after a broken timing belt...

Thanks for the backup. :D I can't believe there are that many people on here that don't think that changing the timing belt is important. It's always the FIRST thing I do when I buy a Honda.