PDA

View Full Version : Fix timing?

kevins89lxi
10-09-2003, 12:01 PM
Is it possible to align the timing up with the new timing belt on after being replaced. I put a new onw on and think I messed up the timing and I want to know if I can fix this without taking the whole thing apart again? If I have to take it all apart then I will junk the car, becuse it was to musch work and i am not going to do it again!!! Let me know thanks.
Kevin

A20A1
10-10-2003, 10:47 PM
well You don't have to take the head off... if its a missalignment between the cam gear and the crank then you can clearly see it... if you don't know where the allignment marks are then how do you know you messed up?

Everything should have been set to TDC after the camgear and crank pully bolts were loosened. Then you could remove the belt without worrying about truning the crank or cam gear accidentally... thats in the how-to I believe.

Anyways set the cam gear to TDC... then look thru the timing window to check the flywheel mark. If they are both on target then you have no worries... if not then loosen the cam gear bolt and set the cam gear to TDC and then slip off the timing belt and gear... then rotate the crank to TDC... since the belt it off don't worry about turnint it clockwise or couter clockwise... just don't make a full revolution... a small movement on the crank equals a big change in the position of the flywheel TDC marker so don't turn it too far in any direction at once.
once the crank is at TDC slide the timing belt with cam gear back on the camshaft... you may need to rotate the cam gear to get rid of the belt slack on the left side of the belt before you stick it on the camshaft.

kevins89lxi
10-14-2003, 07:32 AM
the car ran before I had to fix the timing belt. When I go to start it nothing happens at all and the car will not fire or try to fire. Does this have to do with the timing of when fuel is beaing pump to cyclinder. Plus with smog or something else I think gas mist is coming out of the intake!! What wcould that have been? I am very frustrated with the whole thing!! I checked to make sure that the plugs were getting electricity and they are. If the timing is ok how can I check to see what is wrong with the car????

1988starter
10-14-2003, 09:17 AM
Are your wires back on in the right order remember the cylinders
are 4-3-2-1

kevins89lxi
10-21-2003, 07:04 AM
Yes the wires are fine. I maybe be stupid but where are these damn marks on the crank pulley, all I see is a black mark. If anyone has a picture please let me know. I have grown really tired of this whole thing!! When I put the cam pulley to TDC and then lined up the bottom with the black mark up at TDC. when I tried to start the car it did not fire and push fumes out the intake. what gives????

1988starter
10-21-2003, 07:22 AM
http://images.cardomain.com/member_images/4/web/304000-304999/304085_32_full.jpg

kevins89lxi
10-21-2003, 07:37 AM
Where is this marking on the bottom crankcase? I can't see it.
Thanks for the pic

1988starter
10-21-2003, 07:40 AM
Originally posted by kevins89lxi
Where is this marking on the bottom crankcase? I can't see it.
Thanks for the pic

Actually the marking is on the flywheel you have to look through the timing hole with a flashlight. There may also be a rubber plug in the way you have to pull out.

kevins89lxi
10-21-2003, 07:44 AM
This window is not the one where you pull the plastic cap to turn the crank with the wrench right? Also where is this window located. Relative location front of car backside by oil pan. The side near the wheel? I am clueless where it is. thanks

1988starter
10-21-2003, 08:26 AM
the window is right below the distributer on the front of the engine. It sounds to me like your timing is 180 degrees out of phase

kevins89lxi
10-22-2003, 07:24 AM
1988STARTER
You are the man!! She is alive She is alive!!!!!!
You finallly told me how to line up the timing no one else let me know about the window on the fly wheel. Thank you so much!! Now she is ready to be sold. I am going to the Nissan side and doing a Silvia swap with an S14. Thanks guys