PDA

View Full Version : 89 accord lx no power no revs

HondaGuy32
10-09-2003, 12:34 PM
Hello all again, last time I was here I had some dieseling with that all fixed it's been a few months.

I have an 89 honda accord lx, carb, AT, with 165,000 miles

Now I need to address another problem that has been around but seems to have gotten worse.

"the break down is I have no power to go"

When going uphills I lose alot of my power my revs drop to about 2000rpms if even that. I start out going 65 up a hill and soon find myself at 45 or worse.

My car has no revs or power to go uphills and now it won't accelerate so great even on flat ground.

It could have something to do with the cold last year in winter my car would stay in park and the red Parking light wouldn't light up on the panel and I would have to wait for the light to come on till I could shift this could at times take a minute or more. Any insight into this would be appreciated and please by any means ask a question about the car to get more in depth I will answer asap.

shepherd79
10-09-2003, 01:17 PM
check the fluid level in the trans.

HondaGuy32
10-10-2003, 12:45 PM
I will do that later on this evening, I also found a few things that need some attention asap. My rear engine mount isn't really there anymore (and suddenly my skid plate under the car isn't either).

A20A1
10-10-2003, 10:16 PM
How steep is the hill?
If it's cold and you have a steep hill I could see the fuel having trouble getting into the cylinders.

HondaGuy32
10-12-2003, 06:17 PM
I checked the level of fluid in the transmission it was unbelievably low(of course this should have been checked earlier in a full-tune up done by a shop)

I added dexron III to it until it was at the proper level.

I'm still awaiting engine mounts which will arrive on tuesday,

As for the hills, it doesn't have to be cold for my car to have problems on hills it does that all year round. The hills it has the most problems on are reasonably steep but at the same time I'm getting passed by other cars exactly like mine (mostly 5 speeds of course).

zero.counter
10-12-2003, 06:22 PM
See if this post helps any...
POST (http://www.3geez.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=24983)

HondaGuy32
10-12-2003, 06:39 PM
It is also hard for me to gradually accelerate if I push the gas down slowly the car will sputter, also when pushing the gas pedal down it will suddenly give the car alot of gas and the revs will jump up alot even though I gas it. (I am reading in on the other post because I have to fix my mounts before I do much of what is on there because when the engines jumps it knocks out anything that's fine tuned)