PDA

View Full Version : Condensor fan Question

Vinny
10-09-2003, 02:45 PM
Ok heres the story. I just replaced my condensor fan because the old one was bad (duh) Anyways the fan works semi kinda sorta as advertised. Started the car up and turned the A/C on, both fans come on like they should, turn the A/C off and both fans quit.

Theres the works part.

Now the WTF part.

I turned the A/C back on and shut the car down, the condensor fan kept right on running, but the Cooling fan motor shut off like it should.

Looking at the manual's wiring diagram both fan's get power through the cooling fan relay then it appears to tap off after the relay into the cooling fan and the condensor fan. The way its drawn up in the diagram from Pauls manual if one fan gets power they both should and vice versa with a loss of power. Am I missing something here or is the wiring diagram in the manual wrong and the fans get power comming out of the relay seperately.

SO WTF anyone ever seen this before????????

SiR
10-09-2003, 02:48 PM
If i remember, both of my fans run with the car of with the A/C on, not to sure, but pretty sure. Im not sure if that a 87 LX thing though.

Mac
10-09-2003, 03:18 PM
Wierd. At first I thought that maybe the cooling fan didn't come on because of not getting a ground thru the temp switch on the radiator. But I don't think that's the case. Maybe it's LXi thing and Pauls manual doesn't cover each diferent model. Definately sounds strange.

Vinny
10-09-2003, 04:02 PM
well my problem is going to be remembering to turn the friggin A/C off when I get out, well more when the wife drives it, not me I rarely use it. I wonder if it will eventually turn itself off, other than when it kills the battery

Jareds 89 LX-i
10-09-2003, 04:03 PM
If the car was hot when you did this, then it's normal. The 88-89 LX-i/SE-i has a sub-cooling fan with it's own little module. This runs the condenser fan for 30 minutes after you turn the car off to keep it from heating up after you shut it off (aka... heat soak, from no water flowing through the engine).

One question though... was the a/c button still on and fan switch on when you turned the key off? If it was, did you try turning the a/c switch off and see if the fan goes off? Only reason I ask is cuz a shop ghetto rigged some wiring in mine, so even with the key off, if I leave the a/c button pushed in and the fan switch on, the condenser fan will run indefinitely, until the battery is dead or I turn the switch off.

Vinny
10-09-2003, 04:09 PM
thats what its looking like Jared. When I turn the car off with the A/C Button and the fan switch on the condensor fan runs. If I turn the A/C switch off OR the Fan switch off the condensor fan stops running. SO where do I start looking for the ghetto fix someone installed?????

Vinny
10-10-2003, 05:15 AM
Buuuuuuuuuuuump

Vinny
10-10-2003, 05:52 AM
if anyone has the 88 service manual I need the A/C fan wiring digram if someone could scan it and email it to me I'd be much much greatful

guaynabo89
10-10-2003, 08:39 AM
Yeah..... it is normal for the fan to stay on after the car is shut off, only when hot though. Since you say it only stays on if the ac button is pushed in it sounds like some sort of rigged up wiring or maybe a short or exposed wiring.

My condenser fan stays on for a while when I clean my engine and it gets wet. So it could be something along those lines.

The fans do have a timer so they will shut off automaticly but not is someones messed with the wiring.

88LXi/87CRXSi
10-10-2003, 04:10 PM
It didn't scan real well, but maybe this will help. :confused:

Fan circuit (EFI) (http://members.nccw.net/heywood/Fan%20circuit%20(EFI).jpg)

Vinny
10-10-2003, 04:16 PM
Thanks Steve I sent you a PM what manual did that come out of was it the shop manual or the elctrical manual?????

88LXi/87CRXSi
10-10-2003, 05:02 PM
Again, it's not a very good scan, but it's should be in your email!
One of these days I'll figure out how to use this cheap ass scanner! :rolleyes:

Mac
10-11-2003, 07:59 AM
I tried my LXi this morning and with the key off, the a/c and fan switch on, the fan did not come on. But this was when the engine was cold.

Check for 12v at the relay with key off. You should have voltage on the white wire only. If you have 12v on the yellow wire I would look at the fan controller/timer.

If there is only voltage at the white wire try swapping out the relay as you stated before.