PDA

View Full Version : car will not idle/hard to start/shuts off

ztron
10-09-2003, 03:26 PM
i have an 88 accord with a carburetor. just the other day i was pulling into a parking lot and the car just shut off. no stuttering or anything. it's done this before a few times, but i was able to start it right back up. this time it wouldn't start at all. just kept turning.

i thought maybe i ran out of gas since my gas gauge doesn't work, but that is not the case. i had it towed to a shop and they replaced both fuel filters. the car is still not running. i was able to start it after a few trys, but it immediately shuts off unless i keep it at a high rpm. they told me it may have some problems related to the carb. the shop it's at now doesn't work on carbs so i have to tow it some where else now. how much does a new carb cost? anyone have any other suggestions on what the problem could be? i can start the car, but it will not idle at all right now. i was also thinking maybe the fuel pump needs to be replaced. any help or suggestions are greatly appreciated.

DanG86LX
10-09-2003, 09:04 PM
Could be bad "slow mixture cut off solenoid valve".
.. or despite all the filters, mud in float bowl blocking those fine idle passages. Get the carb off, get the top off (6 screws) and clean it well. Is ur gas filler pipe rusted?
http://3geez.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=6533

ztron
05-18-2004, 10:28 AM
ended up being the carb. i had a rebuilt one put in and it's been running alright now. not shutting off randomly, but hard to start after driving it.