PDA

View Full Version : B20 replacement info required

srb
10-09-2003, 04:34 PM
Hey there,

I found this site doing a net-search on the b20 and I'm very impressed with all of your knowledge and dedication.

Anyway...

I've got a near-mint condition 89 prelude si (original paint - not a speck of rust). Recently, the motor crapped out on me. i'm in Canada so i assume that this car has a b20a5...would that be correct?

I've found several places in toronto selling b20a motors supposedly imported from japan (avg. price being $550CDN).

Would anyone here know if that motor would swap cleanly with my bum b20a5 (or whatever the USDM model is called...)?

Also, will the b20a REALLY produce 160hp versus the 135hp USDM version? If so, why? What is different about the two motors?

I've seen mentioned somewhere that the JDM slants a different way than the USDM b20....will this matter in the Prelude?

Thanks in advance for any assistance you can provide....

cheers,

Steve

srb
10-09-2003, 04:37 PM
Also, where is the easiest spot to look on the motor to find the b20a marking?

thanks

RobT5580
10-09-2003, 04:42 PM
If it is a "B20A" no # after it then its strictly from the JDM Accord and will NOT fit a prelude. So make sure you look into that because it will not work for you. I am not sure what the JDM equivilent would be for the B20A5 and if the HP would be the same.

I have seen some talk on www.3rdgenprelude.com but i never read in dept on it since i knew it was different from the accord B20A.

Oh the markings are located on the front side of the motor to the left of where the exh manifold would be and a tad lower.

carotman
10-09-2003, 04:59 PM
If it is a "B20A" no # after it then its strictly from the JDM Accord and will NOT fit a prelude. So make sure you look into that because it will not work for you. I am not sure what the JDM equivilent would be for the B20A5 and if the HP would be the same.

You got that wrong Rob. the JDM version of the B20A is labeled B20A.... just like the JDM Accord..... this is what confuses people.

RobT5580
10-09-2003, 05:17 PM
Im surprised they did that because the engines are not that similar and causes a lot of confusion. I would have thought it was designated by a # to tell the difference. Thanks for correcting Carotman.

srb
10-09-2003, 06:36 PM
Originally posted by carotman
You got that wrong Rob. the JDM version of the B20A is labeled B20A.... just like the JDM Accord..... this is what confuses people.

Sorry, i'm not following....does this mean then that a b20a will or won't fit in my prelude?

I thought all b20 motors originated from a prelude and the accords from that era only came with a20 motors (?)

thanks, S.

johndej
10-09-2003, 06:45 PM
no, the B20 desired by accord owners is the one that came in the JDM/euro accords and was only in them pritty rare from what i here and they bolt right into accords that came w/ an A20 (from what i've heard). the B20 from the prelude is a compleat different thing.

srb
10-09-2003, 06:57 PM
thanks for the repsonse...

so how then will i know if a particular jdm b20a is meant for an accord or a prelude?

L3G10N
10-09-2003, 08:34 PM
valve cover are different, Oil cap of the cover are at the upleft for the accord and at the upright for the lude and they not leans the same way. The accord lean front and the lude lean back

88shavedaccord
10-10-2003, 04:49 AM
Originally posted by RobT5580

I have seen some talk on www.3rdgenprelude.com but i never read in dept on it since i knew it was different from the accord B20A.

Oh the markings are located on the front side of the motor to the left of where the exh manifold would be and a tad lower.

that my friend is wrong. the b20a from japan will fit directly into a 3g prelude. ive done this before. it is the same motor thats in the usdm prelude but with the all the emissions and stuff

RobT5580
10-10-2003, 10:08 AM
If you read Carotmans post he corrected me and said that both JDM engines the accord and prelude are both designated by this. The Accord B20A will definatly not work in the prelude so you have to make sure to find the prelude one.

carotman
10-10-2003, 04:00 PM
Yeah rob you're right, this creates ALOT of confusion... espesially when you're looking for engines in import shops.... Just like the ZC engines...

cruznz
10-10-2003, 09:24 PM
the BA1 JDM Prelude also came with the B20A engine