PDA

View Full Version : Why didn't the gas light come on??

89AccordLXI666
10-09-2003, 07:34 PM
:confused: This is really strange... well I did put in my white gauges (Pauls Gauges) the printed out version... well I put them in my 89 Accord SE-i coupe and I took out all the gauge light bulbs behind the clusters only, and didn't touch any of the other bulbs.... now my gas and temp gauge needles are f**ked up now cuz they don't move cuz I sorta messed them up but I'm getting a new one n e ways.... so the gas meter reads at a full tank and the temp gauge stays stuck at C meaning cold... so n e ways It took 5 mins to try to start my car cuz i had no gas, and I mean it was bone dry... luckly I work at an auto detailing place plus we have a gas station, but also when I finally got my car started it was boggin cuz I had no gas left in it... but question is why the hell didn't the gas light come on??? I don't think the bulb is burnt out or n e thing..... does n e 1 have any Idea's as to what the problem may be??? Thanks guys lataz. :bow:

4sillypwr
10-11-2003, 10:33 PM
yeah you messed up a wire on accident. go find it. lol

89AccordLXI666
10-12-2003, 06:33 PM
:rant: Hey Wise A** Yeah u Mr. 4sillypwr :flip: Yeah I'm talkin 2 u.... I don't need 2 sit here and see you post up a bunch of worthless bullsh*t so with that in mind... why don't u reply when u can acually help someone rather than being stupid about it... GET IT, GOT IT, GOOD!!! Now That I got that off my back... If anyone can help me that would be great. :) Thanks again guy's... Serious reply's please... Thanks again... Lataz

zero.counter
10-12-2003, 06:38 PM
Did you check to see if the floater is not working? Also, check if the ECU may be throwing any kind of codes. The only other suggestion is a possible short behind the guage cluster.

When you get the new one, swap and it should work fine. On my old startlett, the gas needle would trip the empty light when it was at or just below the E, so replacing the cluster may just do the trick.

89AccordLXI666
10-12-2003, 06:43 PM
Thanks zero.counter for the helpful info that u were able to provide me... thanks bro... but one other question... Iv'e never really delt with ECU's b4 so how would I know where to look for the codes? Thanks again man.. Lataz

Mac
10-12-2003, 06:46 PM
Did you check fuse#2 in the dash fuse box?

johndej
10-12-2003, 06:50 PM
did you make shure everything was lined up and that you put everything back together in the same position it was in when you took it off. if you didn't your gas gauge may be reading a bit off and the other stuff may be messed up.

89AccordLXI666
10-12-2003, 06:54 PM
yeah I check the fuses already and I'm pretty sure it's ok.. I didn't pull out fuse #2 but I took a quick glance at it and it seemed 2 look alright.. I'll have to take a look at it tomorrow at somepoint.... also yeah I did put the needles back to the same position I took them off and then put them back on and for some reason it wasn't reading right... I only have a problem with the gas and temp meter/needle

zero.counter
10-12-2003, 06:59 PM
Originally posted by 89AccordLXI666
Thanks zero.counter for the helpful info that u were able to provide me... thanks bro... but one other question... Iv'e never really delt with ECU's b4 so how would I know where to look for the codes? Thanks again man.. Lataz
No prob Bro, just slide the driver's side front seat all the way forward, sit behind it and the ECU should be on the floor. There should be a little plastic tab that you pull off and then you can see the LED. It will flash when the engine is turned on if any problems exist.

Make sure that power is reaching the bulb and that the bulb is operational behind the low fuel monitor first.

DISCLAMIER: Be very careful when performing the following procedure around the gas tank as any minute spark may cause a flash fire
I would start by testing the light for operation by removing the right cover after lifting the trunk carpet to reveal and disconnect the jack from the fuel sending unit. Connect a jumper from green/red terminal to black terminal.
If the light turns on then it may be the sender unit on the floater. But if it still does not turn on then the problem would most likely be attributed to a short in the green/red wire running into the cluster which I suggested in the first post.

89AccordLXI666
10-12-2003, 07:13 PM
ok zero.counter Thanks for the detail... I will give that a shot and I'll let you know what came up... I'll try it out tomorrow after work.. I'll post with the results... Thanks again man for the help.

zero.counter
10-12-2003, 07:15 PM
Originally posted by 89AccordLXI666
ok zero.counter Thanks for the detail... I will give that a shot and I'll let you know what came up... I'll try it out tomorrow after work.. I'll post with the results... Thanks again man for the help.
Hey Bro, if you perform the last suggestion, please be careful...

89AccordLXI666
10-12-2003, 07:17 PM
I will I promise... I wont hold u responsable if n e thing should happen.. I promise... But thanks for lookin out bro... Later

danronian
10-13-2003, 06:13 PM
My gas light doesnt work either. I have seen the needle below E but never a light. I just figured the sensor was broken. Is the sensor for the light part of the gauge or part of the sensor? Meaning if it doesnt work is the gauge or sender at fault. (The bulb could also be blow but until I steal some from the u-pull it I am not going to pull it all apart to see.)