PDA

View Full Version : Questions???

89LXIGUY
10-09-2003, 09:04 PM
Ok, guys what do I need to do? I am having the engine rebuilt, honed, and vatted. Do I need to do ne thing to the head, springs, valves, etc.? I don't need my car so I have plenty of time. I am working towards Sean's turbo setup. I plan to get the spec stage III clutch w/ their lightened flywheel to help keep the rpms up, Hyper ground everything so that my fuel pump gets plenty of juice, bigger injectors, etc. etc. etc. Like said before, What should I do to the engine while it is out of the car??:bow: :bow:

shepherd79
10-10-2003, 03:37 AM
well, you can rebuild with stock internals, or if you can get forged pistons and rods that would help a lot in the future with Sean's turbo setup.

Vinny
10-10-2003, 04:22 AM
You are you having the work done by out there in OK??????

89LXIGUY
10-10-2003, 08:14 AM
Vinny, either precision engine repair in Durant or A local machinig shop called Glens auto. The machinist was a student of my father-in-law, so we maybe able to cut a deal.

Shep, I got the standard rebuild kit from RPMRon's.
http://www.rpmrons.com/Hondakits1.html

This maybe a noob ?, but what does forged mean and why are they better????

Vinny
10-10-2003, 10:03 AM
Just wondered where you were and where it was getting done. I was in OKC and Buddy Rice builds some killer motors, Jackson's isn't too bad. Parr automotives a good place to shop parts if you make it up that way and if you ever run into a job you don't wanna do go to Johan's Hondura, they've been doing honda work for as long as I can remember. They are def worth the drive

A cast piston is liquid molten aluminum poured or injected into a mold. A forged piston is made from a solid ingot and pressed or extruded into shape before machining.

Forging is a manufacturing process where metal is pressed, pounded or squeezed under great pressure into high strength parts known as forgings. This is usually done by heating the metal, but some forgings are produced without heating.

Generally, forged components are shaped by either a hammer or a press. Forging on the hammer is carried out in a succession of die impressions using repeated blows. In a press, the component is usually hit only once in each die impression.

NXRacer
10-10-2003, 10:40 AM
Vinny you also forgot to mention that forged pistons can handle a lot more stress which is why they're good for turbo applications.

Justin86
10-10-2003, 12:05 PM
Yea forged rods and pistons would be good if you really want to push your motor other wise save some money and just get pistons. Have a port job done to the head.

AccordEpicenter
10-10-2003, 12:57 PM
you dont really need forged rods in these engines, itll give you peace of mind but stock shotpeened or polished rods are just fine, just get some forged pistons

89LXIGUY
10-10-2003, 10:09 PM
well, like I said I got some new pistons. I'm pulling the engine sunday and within 2 weeks I should have it rebuilt. Now Ive heard that porting is good and ive heard that it soesn't help enough to be worth the money. What do u guys say??

deadlight
10-11-2003, 03:00 AM
Just run really low compression and REALLY high boost.
Just a suggestion

shepherd79
10-11-2003, 04:29 AM
porting does help a lot in turbo applications, but beware of a bad port jobs. they may cause some HP lose.