PDA

View Full Version : Problem

dub88acc
10-12-2003, 09:52 AM
my 3 gee is an 88 accord lx and when i step on the gas it does not accelerate as it should. it reaches 60 like in 20 seconds. any solutions??:sadwave:

accordlxi2.0
10-12-2003, 11:00 AM
i had that same problem. on the lx
1) was i had put some bad gas and not name brand really.( try some shell premium)
2) it could be your distributor. mine's is red inside and plus, it's probaly not advancing when the ecu tell's it too.
3) adjust your air/fuel mixture screw.
4) last but not least , there's a possibility that one ,or both of your venturi's are loose.
how's tha gas mileage?

k-roy
10-12-2003, 04:11 PM
Sounds like it needs a tuneup.
Get NGK spark plugs and wires, replace the distributor cap & rotor, new air filter and pcv valve, set the timing correctly, replace all three fuel filters, change the motor oil and tranny fluid. Use at least 91 octane gas and Retune the carb.
That should be about $100 if you do it yourself.
Here is a howto from another member on tuning a carb..
http://members.fortunecity.com/accordex87/CarbSetup.htm
this one is a little easier to understand: http://members.fortunecity.com/accordex87/carb.htm

johndej
10-12-2003, 04:30 PM
"replace all three fuel filters" i'm pritty shure there are only 2 (max) on a 3g.

zero.counter
10-12-2003, 04:31 PM
Originally posted by accordlxi2.0
it's probaly not advancing when the ecu tell's it too.

Hey bro, I thought we talked about the "ecu in carbs" issue before?

Anyways, I would check your compression, spraying the vacuum lines with carb choke spray to find leaks, fouled spark plugs, shorting or bad plug wire set, as already posted- distributor cap set w/ rotor, excessive throttle cable play, slipping belts, replacement of the air and fuels filters and of course the PCV valve, low pressure tires and stuck calipers causing excessive drag...for starters.

A20A1
10-13-2003, 02:50 PM
Originally posted by accordlxi2.0
i had that same problem. on the lx
1) was i had put some bad gas and not name brand really.( try some shell premium)
89 octane is about the best to use in the stock accord
2) it could be your distributor. mine's is red inside and plus, it's probaly not advancing when the ecu tell's it too.
This would only really affect low end acceleration unless the distributor cap and rotor weren't making good contact. Or the distributor body was turned to far out of allignent, throwing the timing off. The ECU has no affect over the vacuum advance... since the diaphragm is hooked directly to manifold vacuum, thought the secondary advance gets bled off at a certain temp I think.
3) adjust your air/fuel mixture screw.
Unless the screw cap fell out there is no need to adjust it
4) last but not least , there's a possibility that one ,or both of your venturi's are loose.
This would have been my first guess since it's pretty common around the accords I work on over here
how's tha gas mileage?

k-roy
10-15-2003, 12:20 PM
Originally posted by johndej
"replace all three fuel filters" i'm pritty shure there are only 2 (max) on a 3g.
There are three on a carbed model. One in the engine bay, one by the left rear tire, and a prefilter that looks like a baby sock that goes on the end of the pump assembly.

zero.counter
10-15-2003, 01:08 PM
Originally posted by kroy
There are three on a carbed model. One in the engine bay, one by the left rear tire, and a prefilter that looks like a baby sock that goes on the end of the pump assembly.
You talkin bout the strainer?

k-roy
10-15-2003, 03:05 PM
Yea thats it. Its good to replace, probably will make the pump last longer.

zero.counter
10-15-2003, 03:21 PM
Originally posted by kroy
Yea thats it. Its good to replace, probably will make the pump last longer.
True dat, technically it is a filter of sorts