PDA

View Full Version : wiring

pratman
10-12-2003, 02:04 PM
I am missing the headlight/turn signal switch, I was looking at the diagram but couldnt figure it out, which wires do I connect to make the front headlights work in low beam. It says they are r/y and r/w for left and right respectivley. which wire should I connect them to to turn them on. white?
the diagram can be had from pauls website shop manual, scroll all the way down, to the last box and select headlights

Mac
10-12-2003, 02:36 PM
If you are making this connection at the combination switch plug just connect the white wire to the red/white wire and both lights should come on. It won't raise the lights but only light them.

pratman
10-15-2003, 02:26 PM
I tried it and it dint work, I hooked up my friends switch and it works! Unofrtunately I cant keep the switch, so are you sure its those wires?

Mac
10-15-2003, 02:52 PM
OK I just looked again at the wire diagram and unless I'm missing something (which is possible) I think if you hook the white wire to the red wire with a white stripe it should light the low beams.

If you hook the white wire to the red wire with a blue stripe the high beams should come on.

There is a control unit that is involved but it doesn't look like it is needed just to light the lights, by the way it is drawn.

Now I never had this switch off, I'm just going by the diagram.

And again hooking these wires together should just light the lights. It won't raise or lower them.

Let me know if this works.

pratman
10-16-2003, 08:14 PM
I tried it for both the high and low beam and neither worked, what role does the red green wire play?

cruznz
10-17-2003, 12:43 AM
did you try the right white wire cause there are 2.....

pratman
10-17-2003, 02:01 AM
They are raised!!!!!, in an 87 there is a seperate switch to raise on the righthand side. WHy would i try to light them when they are still down!!!!

cruznz
10-17-2003, 02:51 AM
cause in the other posts ,you dont say you have,and the 87 is not the only 1 with that switch,.....get a test light or multi-meter to check that power is getting to wires you want them to

Mac
10-17-2003, 11:24 AM
The red/green wire goes to the control unit I mentioned earlier.

According to the trouble shooting guide when the combo switch is in low beams= the white, red. red/green and red/white wires should all be connected together. The other 2 wires not mentioned earlier should be for the dash and tail lights. This should give you low beams, dash lights and tail lights.

Make sure that you have 12 volts on the white wire. If you apply 12 volts to the red/white wire the lows should turn on.

Are you eventually going to get a switch and replace the one that you are missing?

pratman
10-17-2003, 02:42 PM
Yeah, i think im gonna get one from the user Noles. 30 bucks is pretty expensive for a car i paid 300 for

Mac
10-17-2003, 02:54 PM
Not really. The only other options would be going to a dealer ( I can imagine how much they would charge) or a junk yard which you don't know if it will work and if it did, how long would it last. So $30 from Noles might not be too bad.