PDA

View Full Version : Compression problem

A Dawg Jr
10-13-2003, 08:35 PM
I thought that it was normal, but my car tops at 95 mph. It's an LXi 5 speed...

I once hit about 99 down a hill, but thats as fast as it's been with me.

Just wanted to know where I could take the car for a compression test? Should I go to a major company like grease monkey (if they even check that stuff) or a small shop. How much do you think it'll cost to fix the compression problem assuming on of the pistons is gone or weak?

And how much would a re build cost? Thanks

MrBen
10-13-2003, 08:49 PM
Just go to a mechanic. If you're lucky they wont charge you anything. I tend to go for the smaller shops, rather than the nationally known ones.

Rebuild is going to be near the same cost as a Japanese import.... around $1,500 for the engine and labor combined. I personally would go for the import.

zero.counter
10-13-2003, 08:54 PM
Buy the parts and do it yourself, the rebuild that is for around $550 for parts and your down time. You can buy the compression guage from any autoparts store for around $30. It is relatively simple. Your rings might just need to replaced. If you do pay to have it done, it is usually around $25.

A Dawg Jr
10-13-2003, 09:50 PM
Wow, thanks a lot guys.. I wouldn't know the first thing about doing it myself... but maybe I could go up to my dads and we could spend the weekend doing it.

I hope its just these rings you're talking about. I'll be smart though and take it in and have it check it. I don't want to buy a tool that will tell me something, but not how to fix it, or whats wrong. We'll see what a shop says.

The hard part is telling my mom... what am I going to say??? Hey I was trying to see how fast my car goes, I hit 95 in a 65 and it just stopped pulling, we need to get this checked out, lol she'll say good, we'll leave it there, and you're grownded

cruznz
10-14-2003, 12:19 AM
when was the last time the car had a tune-up?

A Dawg Jr
10-14-2003, 12:04 PM
8-12 months