PDA

View Full Version : Alternator?

it's paid for
10-14-2003, 06:44 AM
Yesterday my "battery" light lit up on my dashboard . . . I was hoping it wasn't the alternator, but today, on my way to work my lights were getting dim while I was driving and the horn would barely "honk" . . .

. . . guess it's time for a new alternator?

. . . any suggestions or special tips when I replace it or where I should get it? I was considering going to Advance Auto Parts for the new/refurbished one.

BTW - for those who don't know - it's an '83 Accord and YES, I realize it's a 2G.

Thanks very much,

IPF

Dustin Imports
10-14-2003, 09:09 AM
check the batery first (easy to remove/have checked)...maybe its not holding a charge.

then have altenantor checked.

could even be a wire/ connector that send the charge from alt to batt.

Drew

k-roy
10-14-2003, 09:16 AM
I say sand down all the electrical connections and have the battery checked at the parts store (free) before you spend any cash. I have a refurb alternator from Autozone and it is perfectly fine. It was a real bitch to install. I had to remove my driveshaft to be able to get it out. I managed to pull on the end like an idiot witch tore apart the CV joint. I was pissed because I had to shell out another 75 bucks, but it really did need replaced and it was setup to have the new one popped in anyway. Oh yea, I did all of that at 3am in 2 feet of snow in 10 degree weather. It was warmer at night because there was no wind unlike the daytime. Just like another user has in his sig, OHIO SUCKS!!!

goldyaccord
10-14-2003, 11:11 AM
It is your alternator. What will happen is all the light will come on and then you'll be able to drive for about another 2 hrs or so before it limps dead. It's best to take it right away to a auto parts place and have them check to make sure before battery gets damaged..

Blue Impact
10-14-2003, 12:11 PM
Dude, wherever you choose to get your alternator, make sure it's new and it's got a lifetime warranty with it. Good luck.

it's paid for
10-14-2003, 01:34 PM
Thanks everyone . . . I just got back from Advance Auto Parts and they checked it (for free, of course) and while it was running at 2000 rpm they said it's only putting out ~11 volts, thus the alternator is "on it's way out" (or so they said) . . . the good news is a new one (rebuilt?) is only $53 and they can have it in their store first thing in the morning . . .

. . . guess that's what I'll do . . .

. . . could be worse, eh?