PDA

View Full Version : Exhaust smoke

swiftly_driven
10-14-2003, 09:55 AM
Wassup....

What causes smoke to come out the tailpipe. It seems like everytime I put oil in my engine, I blow out huge amounts of smoke when I am doing 70mph and I can't seem why. Then once the car is driven for a few days it doesn't smoke anymore. Could an oil leak cause this or is it something else?

Please tell me :wtf: is going on

Holla back...

NXRacer
10-14-2003, 09:56 AM
what color is the smoke? smoke can mean a number of different things depending on what color it is.

'A20A3'
10-14-2003, 12:12 PM
Originally posted by NXRacer
what color is the smoke? smoke can mean a number of different things depending on what color it is.

:werd:

blue smoke means your car is burning oil...

shepherd79
10-14-2003, 12:15 PM
if you put too much oil it will smoke untill the level drops.

swiftly_driven
10-14-2003, 01:30 PM
it's white smoke that comes out the tailpipe...what could it be?

NXRacer
10-14-2003, 01:56 PM
if its white thats a sign of water getting where it shouldnt be. Now if its just for a short while its probably just normal condensation coming from the cat. If you have white smoke ALL the time, then you could have a bad headgasket. Are you sure you get white smoke ONLY after you change the oil or does it smoke when its cold?

swiftly_driven
10-14-2003, 04:03 PM
my bad..it's not white..it's a dirty white grayish color. it's probably because i put 2 much oil in the engine. the level of the oil is a little under the 2 hole of the oil dipstick. did i put 2 much oil in the engine. what happens if you have your oil level a little under the second hole? would that cause smoke out the tailpipe? where should the oil level be.

shepherd79
10-14-2003, 05:36 PM
the oil level should be between two holes.
grey smoke = piston rings. your engine will need to be rebuild in the future, and i mean with in next year. it will smoke more and more if you don't rebuild the engine or change piston rings.

syclinsam
04-23-2005, 11:18 AM
I realize this an old thread but it hits close to my concerns and I couldn't find a straight answer, maybe I missed it or, either way here goes.

My 228,xxxmi 86 lxi hatch now apparently blows alot of blue smoke which i know is burning oil...
To make a long story short, my brother changed the oil and put the 10W-40 I had bought for the tranny, into the engine. :uh: It had 10W-30 in it and didn't smoke except a bit of white at start up. He also overfilled it, not by much by still overfilled it.

My questions are,

would changing the weight of the oil lead to smoking?

would changing the weight of the oil cause damage to an older engine like ours?

i read in a thread that the engine will burn off oil overfill, does this cause damage to the engine?

i plan on changing the oil back to 10W-30 when I have the chance to get home this week...any other suggestions? its buggin me cause i put alot of work into the car to get it inspectable again, and now it is soooo close and it starts blowing blue smoke...WTF...

SHURIK
04-23-2005, 08:13 PM
If It Comes Out Ur Taile Pipe Them The Valve Seals Are Done Or Close To It Cause When U Put Oil In It Pools At The Top Near The Valve Seals I Can Replase Them With A Coat Hanger Threw The Prak Plug Hole Holding The Valve As U Torch The Seal To Take Off Then Heat Them A Bit And Force Them On Its Ease As That I Did It For A Frind On A 4th Gen Accord And It Works Better Then Paying For A Head Gasket And When Ur Doing This The Cylinder Ur Working On Make Shure Its Up So If U Slip The Valve Wont Run Away The Cylinder Will Hold It

syclinsam
04-24-2005, 03:04 AM
i think it is my seals too. i have to replace my axles and seals. sounds like a fun days work!
thanks!