PDA

View Full Version : This Just Can't Be Right (WARNING - sickening photos)

it's paid for
10-14-2003, 07:31 PM
So, I put my Accord on the ramps in the garage . . . getting ready to yank the alternator . . . as I was looking very close underneath my engine I noticed some sort of . . . gap . . . near the oil pan, as you can see in the photo . . . what is wrong? Is there a gasket or some sort of seal missing, or something not connected right? I guess this could be one of the main reasons for the oil dripping below my car?

Messy, eh?

Thanks,

IPF

http://www.bloomyourbusiness.com/honda/14-Oct-03_01.jpg

http://www.bloomyourbusiness.com/honda/14-Oct-03_02.jpg

http://www.bloomyourbusiness.com/honda/14-Oct-03_03.jpg

deadlight
10-14-2003, 09:20 PM
Yeah I'd say that's a pretty safe bet considering your oil pan holds oil and stuff.

Coitis1
10-15-2003, 10:28 AM
sickening photos? what are u talking about? I'll show ya some sickening photos...damn, wheres nate when ya need him? :)

Vinny
10-15-2003, 10:32 AM
Dude get some brake cleaner out after that motor or atleast a 5 gallons of Castrol Super clean and some wire brushes to clean that mess up. You probably have a million little leakes under all that crap. Raise it up put some superclean in a spray bottle and spray the hell out of then run it through a car wash with an underbody wash. That shits just plain ass nasty

HostileJava
10-15-2003, 10:36 AM
I think you would be better served to post this in Technical. Ask a mod to move it.

guaynabo89
10-15-2003, 07:42 PM
That gap is nothing major.

The plastic part is the timng belt cover and they usually warp and sit off the side of the block like that.

it's paid for
10-16-2003, 04:21 AM
That gap is nothing major.

The plastic part is the timng belt cover and they usually warp and sit off the side of the block like that.

Whew - what a relief! I am about a millimeter away from doing a total rebuild - it's in my garage on the ramps, as long as I'm going to do the alternator, why not rip off the head and get a valve job and then drop the oil pan & do the rings?

Should only take me about 12 weeks . . . I'll keep everyone updated . . . I've never done this before (head & rings) . . .

Also thanks for the help in previous posts and PM's . . .

IPF

deadlight
10-16-2003, 02:15 PM
Should only take you 12 weeks? Dude, that's 3 months, I've changed a motor in a day, and rebuilt a motor in under a week.

HostileJava
10-16-2003, 02:17 PM
We don't all know motors that well or have all day to work on them.

it's paid for
10-16-2003, 04:50 PM
We don't all know motors that well or have all day to work on them. Zakly.

I work a full time job and take care of my kids four nights a week while my wife is finishing up her Master's Degree. The weekends are just as hectic - my mother lives 37 miles away, she's like 283 years old and has every disease known to man . . . she even has some nobody's ever heard of . . . so I go over & take care of her . . . the good news is, it's in my garage, I have a torque wrench and a little money for the repairs . . . my wife is giving me about $500 for this job and I've broken it down like this:

$150 head, valve job
$150 rebuild kit (rings, gaskets, et cetera)
$200 timing belt, water pump & misc. other crap it'll prolly need

I'll be doing great if I get to spend four hours each weekend on it and maybe four hours during the week . . . like HostileJava said - I don't know much about what I'm doing . . . armed only with experience doing basic, routine maintenance, I have some cheap tools (but a dang-nice torque wrench) and a Haynes manual . . . I sort of look forward to it . . . if I just knew what I was getting into I probably wouldn't . . . :lol . . . at least I have a nice, clean garage to work on it . . . and another car to drive to work that's reliable . . . sure miss driving the Honda . . . I love that car . . . (snif)

http://www.bloomyourbusiness.com/honda/16_oct_03_01.jpg

johndej
10-16-2003, 05:05 PM
woah, i just realized that was a 2g. thats great that your keeping it going and nice.

Illicit3rdgenRacer
10-16-2003, 08:22 PM
dude that looks like axle grease you might wanna check your axles i know when i popped mine i had stuff that looked like that all ova my engine bay. it was a nasty sight

PogiLXI
10-16-2003, 08:51 PM
I 2nd that Axle shiznit

pimp86LX
10-17-2003, 08:31 PM
Originally posted by it's paid for
my mother lives 37 miles away, she's like 283 years old and has every disease known to man . . . she even has some nobody's ever heard of . . . so I go over & take care of her . . .

not to put down you mom but that just sounded freakin hilarious :lol

reminds me of montey burns "uhmm Mr. Burns, you have....everything"

possum
10-31-2003, 03:16 PM
Your oil leak looks sorta like grease from the CV boot. Or it could be one of the front seals (crank, cam)

k-roy
10-31-2003, 03:33 PM
Good luck man.

blazin3gen
10-31-2003, 03:47 PM
O another 2gen i had a 2gen :(

deadlight
10-31-2003, 05:26 PM
Originally posted by HostileJava
We don't all know motors that well or have all day to work on them.

Good point. I retract my previous statement.