PDA

View Full Version : Is All This Plumbing REALLY Necessary?

it's paid for
10-14-2003, 07:40 PM
FYI - I have an '83 Accord (& yes, I realize it's a 2G)

. . . can I get rid of any or all of this tubing/plumbing?

I'd also like to remove my a/c . . . is this a big deal? Would it be possible to remove it and then add it back later, maybe next summer?

Also - why does my car have two radiators? I know the one in the back is for the engine and I'm guessing the one in front is for the a/c?

Thanks,

IPF

pimp86LX
10-14-2003, 08:56 PM
Originally posted by it's paid for
FYI - I have an '83 Accord (& yes, I realize it's a 2G)

. . . can I get rid of any or all of this tubing/plumbing?

I'd also like to remove my a/c . . . is this a big deal? Would it be possible to remove it and then add it back later, maybe next summer?

Also - why does my car have two radiators? I know the one in the back is for the engine and I'm guessing the one in front is for the a/c?

Thanks,

IPF

i would say no on the A/C you'd have to safley empy out the system of the coolant before removal. Then pressurize it all again when you reinstall. Its not worth it!.

the "2nd radiator" is the condensor for the A/C system.

k-roy
10-14-2003, 10:05 PM
Yea, have a mechanic drain and flush the system then it is pretty straitforeward to remove. Just take out the pump, bracket, lines and the condensor in front of the radiator. That should give you a bit better cooling to the radiator as well. It may be tricky to reinstall, I ended up cutting the lines to make it easier to get out. Yes you can remove the majority of the vaccum lines. I did it once on a 2G. I wish I would have taken some pics. If you look at the howto there is a post on removing vaccum lines on this board. You carb is similar. just be sure to cap off all extra lines and retain the vaccum advance on the distributor. After you remove the extra lines you have to give it a little extra gas untill it warms up or it will want to die. Good luck.

it's paid for
10-16-2003, 05:02 PM
Okay . . . I can't get the car to a mechanic to drain the A/C system . . . can I do it?

Isn't it just like letting air out of a tire? I don't think my Haynes manual covers the A/C . . . hmmmmm . . .

I really don't think I'll ever put the A/C back in and I have no idea if it works or not . . . electrically, the car is . . . :( . . . not in great condition . . . same for the engine & brakes . . . but I'm working on it . . . I'm in love with my Honda - who isn't? :) . . . someday this car is gonna rock . . .

. . . thanks for the comments!