PDA

View Full Version : Highway speed vibrations

danronian
10-15-2003, 04:45 AM
Back when I got my car it vibrated at any speed. I then replaced the upper control arms, went over the whole front suspension, and replaced both half shafts. I then replaced all of the tires and had them balanced and got a front end alignment done. The tires wear perfectly and I am running 36 psi. in all four. The tie rod ends and everything on the front end are fine and the bearings are fine also. Around june when I took it to the shore the car vibrated at 60-65. I now notice that it vibrates from 90 up and 60-65 after trying to keep up with turnpike traffic. Any ideas? I know the rotors are warped but that is only noticeable when braking from high speeds. I think it is something I just have to live with since I know that the car was in a few accidents before I bought it but I figured I'd ask anyhow.

k-roy
10-15-2003, 05:00 AM
Did you replace the ball joints? That might have been part of the alignment. It could also be engine or tranny mounts. I would also retorque the front lower crossmenbers. I would replace the pads and rotors as well, they are not too expensive. Have you taken a look at the rear suspension as well?

MattsAccord
10-15-2003, 09:06 AM
My car does the same thing not really bad but I notice it.

Fritz the Cat
10-15-2003, 09:10 AM
I had the same problem with an old Dodge I had, and it was the wheel bearings. Not too expensive to fix.

88 Accord DX
10-15-2003, 09:26 AM
my car did it when i got it but i just got a roation and balance and it fixed it.

danronian
10-15-2003, 10:14 AM
All the ball joints were replaced in the last year and I checked for play in the wheel bearings and found none. I figured I'd just wait until the rotors get worse or until I need to replace the pads which look to be about a year old also. I'll try retorqing the crossmember though, and I do believe that I need to replace at least one engine mount since it moves so much things pop off it every so often. Thanks for the input.

doug
10-17-2003, 05:27 PM
warped rotors will do this. also stuck or slow release of
the caliper pistons, especially when both problems exist at the same time.

danronian
12-04-2003, 07:11 PM
I rotated the tires and it must have been to to a poorly balanced wheel b/c the vibration is finally gone! YAY! Finally I can keep up to traffic going over 75 without shaking to death.