PDA

View Full Version : Always in the break down lane

atom1414
10-15-2003, 07:17 AM
Ive seen a lot of the messages that you guys have posted, and mine basicly the same. I have a 89 accord LX auto. its a pretty nice car, good title and everything but the thing that pisses me off is that Im driving down the interstate of Vermont thats not flat, and all hills, and Im driving and when going up a hill and pressing the gas harder and harder to get more power doest work. Im sick of the break down lane. So I descovered that if you turn it off for a few it will work alright again depending on how long you leave it off. I know a little bit about cars but Im no expert. I would just like some help.

Id rather see if I could fix it myself the spend $70 just to have someone tell me what it is

thanx guys

HostileJava
10-15-2003, 08:51 AM
Well you more then likely have a heat problem, somthings is getting to hot and not working and when you turn the car off it cools down and starts working again. Where does your coolant temp gauge rest once the car is warmed up?

atom1414
10-15-2003, 08:53 AM
about a quarter above the cold mark, the engine never overheats

NXRacer
10-15-2003, 08:57 AM
isnt there some fix for bypassing the collant line to the carb manifold that gives more power? Hey atom, do a search for coolant bypass and you might come up with a fix for your problem.

HostileJava
10-15-2003, 08:58 AM
That's a tough problem to troubleshoot without driving the car and experiencing it yourself. It could be caused by numerous things(to numerous to mention). Does it cut in and out at all or do you just slowly loose power? When was the last time the car had a tuneup (Rotor, Cap, plugs, wires)?

atom1414
10-15-2003, 09:08 AM
Hmm, well its hard to say when the car had tune up, I had this problem once thinking it was the spark plug wires, so I went out and replaced them. Then it hadnt happened for quite a long time so I thought I fixed it but I was wrong. Im not the smartest at cars but I believe the rotor and cap are to the left of the engine block right? well I dont really know about how to check to see if those are good or not... any quick easy tests I can do to check it?

The car will be running fine on the interstate and then once you start heading up a hill it will gradually loose power, it seems to happen more in the cold and in the rain. I go to down shift into third (it is an automatic) and it drags as if I was going down a hill. I dont get any power out of it. does that make since??

as for the coolent I dont really know

HostileJava
10-15-2003, 10:41 AM
If you don't know what the last time the cap and rotor were replaced it's time to replace them. If your looking at the front of your car they are on the left side. Does the car turn over right away after you let it sit or does it seem to slowly crank before starting up?

k-roy
10-15-2003, 11:50 AM
I accelerate up mountains, and slow down a bit on the way down. Get a 5 speed, it helps a lot. But yea, get a tuneup. If you do not have emissions yank out the damn vaccum lines to the carb as per instructions in the howto forum. It adds some kick. Also get a 88-91 Civic Airbox and modify it so you can use a K&N style filter.

HostileJava
10-15-2003, 11:53 AM
http://www.3geez.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=24983

HostileJava
10-15-2003, 11:57 AM
Originally posted by kroy
Also get a 88-91 Civic Airbox and modify it so you can use a K&N style filter.

Why can't you use a K&N filter with the stock airbox? I had one in my hatch.

k-roy
10-15-2003, 12:02 PM
Originally posted by HostileJava
Why can't you use a K&N filter with the stock airbox? I had one in my hatch.

Yes you can, but I prefer cones. Just my preferance, and is sounds cooler too.

shepherd79
10-15-2003, 12:18 PM
sounds like the problem with secondary. it is not kicking in. you can make the secondary manual and it will kick in all the time. the how to convert to secondary in to manual secondary is in HOW to remove vacuum lines or you can ask me.
It is very easy to do, and if it helps it will bring the power back up.

atom1414
10-16-2003, 05:21 AM
vacuum lines?? how would those bring the power back. if they would bring in more power I would do it anyway. How dow you covert them??

HostileJava
10-16-2003, 07:05 AM
http://www.3geez.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=11067

atom1414
10-16-2003, 07:20 AM
quote : This modification is for a carburetor with no choke, manual secondary, and NO cruise control.

hmm, think I do have coke and I do have cruise control but I dont use it

atom1414
10-16-2003, 08:45 AM
I have forgot a little something. It only does it when the weather sux, like when its raining, or cold out so far. when its nice out it rides fine. any different ideas?

shepherd79
10-16-2003, 09:12 AM
probably one of the temperature sensors is dead.
anyway, you can keep the choke, AC and cruise control if you do vacuum lines removal.
oh yah, make sure your state doesn't have emission test.