PDA

View Full Version : dying need of help

james105
10-16-2003, 04:04 AM
I have a 87 accord lx, my fast idle for the cold mornings is all screwed up sumtimes it works sumtimes it dont. Mostly it doesnt when u start your car the fast idle kicks in and goes sum where between 2000-3000rpms, mine will stay down under 1000 and if i'm not in the car to concently keep the rpms up it'll shut down i have to manually keep the rpms at 3000 buy giving it gas or it dies and the crazy part is that the fast idle kicks in when the car is heated up and if i try to kick it down it shuts down if i dont give it sum gas, so every morning i have to sit in my car for like 20-25mins until it stops acting up and once it stops if i turn the car off and turn it back on say 5-10mins later the fast idle would kick in as soon as i give it gas and it wont kick down for like 15mins......i dunno what to do i've tried change both fuel filters, and the air filter but it didn't work....can sum one help me please???

james105
10-16-2003, 04:12 AM
also when it goes down under 1000rpms when i gas it to bring it back up so it doesn't shut down black smoke comes out of my exhaust and i know thats because its burning to much fuel but why is it??

accordlxi2.0
10-17-2003, 12:48 PM
welcome
try to see if your choke opens up (only when the engine is cold and running).
it could be a vacuum leak running to the fast idle and choke unloader.