PDA

View Full Version : My car f*ing taunts me!!

POS carb
06-22-2002, 04:47 AM
I swear minutes after commenting to myself on how great the car is running it starts pulling this fuel-starvation crap on me where i have to crack the pedal otherwise it stumbles and dies but I realized that if I pumped the pedal it would pick up speed. I think the carb is screwed up or something (the pumping trick took my suspicions off the pump)
God damn it! I can't afford to fork over $300 for a weber system at this point in time! :mad: :ego:

rocky2
06-22-2002, 06:26 AM
Do some quickie checks/repairs to narrow down fault. Remove fuel line to carb,then stick it in a bottle activate fuel pump and see how fast bottle fills....Be careful.
If thats fine, now look at choke buterfly when engine is hot for it to be fully open.
Next tap on carb close to the float with a small tech hammer,they stick sometimes on all carbs....thats why I use Marval Mystry Oil at times in all my rides.

carotman
06-22-2002, 06:30 AM
Put a spring on the gas pedal so it pumps itself..

POS carb
06-22-2002, 07:32 AM
Sorry I didn't put all the symptoms, that's what happens when you're up 20 hours straight.
It can't be the pump because once I pump it and the RPMS get up then it's fine, I guess it's got a leaky gasket or something plugging up the venturri because it feeds fine past 2-3k , I'm gonna try it out now, maybe I couldv'e had a sticking float needle and the pumping was causing fluctuations in the level? anyway if anything I'll finally have an excuse to get the weber. I just don't wanna deal with tuning it and the expences are gonna add up fast:
1. carb
2. adapter
3. air cleaner
4. bigger fuel pump (it can wait tho)
5. jet kit
6. a/f meter
7. TIME! time = money. i was supposed to take my car in to get the A/C filled and leak tested today.
fuck fuckitty fuck fuck fuck- eric cartman.

POS carb
06-22-2002, 07:56 AM
WOHOO!! A quick removal of the aircleaner assembly (only 1 vacuum hose :p ) and I pulled the throttle, here's what I gathered.

1. the accelerator pump is working fine
2. the float was full, llike I said, there is a problem in the carb, probably the primary (no low speed but normal high speed operation)
3. I noticed that at part throttle it would die, as soon as the "charge" from the accelerator pump was used up, so I watched the primary venturri closely and I noticed I didn't see any fuel coming out of it! I thought it was a clog so I used carb cleaner in the vants and on the booster but nothing, then I thought it may be loose and sure enough it was! I gotta take off the choke to tighten it but this should explain my decrease in fuel milage lately and now this sudden stalling conndition after taking that hard left turn!
I hate this carb but at least I understand how it works! that's the only pro to carb over EFI (and cost)!

POS carb
06-22-2002, 07:57 AM
I also observe how lack of food and sleep affects spelling, grammar, and typing! lol!

carotman
06-22-2002, 01:23 PM
Beer also affects spelling

ACCORD EX
06-22-2002, 02:29 PM
Originally posted by carotman
Beer also affects spelling

affects yuo carotman ?? after all you're the beer baron ! :D :flip:

MIKE

POS carb
06-23-2002, 12:50 AM
nobody is immune. muhahahahaha

87DXHatch
07-15-2002, 05:33 PM
Originally posted by POS carb
I just don't wanna deal with tuning it and the expences are gonna add up fast:
1. carb
2. adapter
3. air cleaner
4. bigger fuel pump (it can wait tho)
5. jet kit
6. a/f meter
7. TIME! time = money. i was supposed to take my car in to get the A/C filled and leak tested today.

Whoa, this is the first I have heard about all this stuff! I thought it was just buy the kit from Nopi and you are set to go... what is all this crap anyway? I understand the Carb (duh) and the bigger fuel pump (is this really necessary?) but I don't get what the rest of it is... adapter, aircleaner, jet kit, a/f meter...

All of a sudden the Weber install just became a little more un-attainable in my mind...

POS carb
07-15-2002, 08:29 PM
wow, this is old... anywas you need an adaptor for the manifold, the weber isn't going to just bolt up and you need an air cleaner for it too but those two are included in the kit. However you gotta tune the carb which means you gotta buy jets and an a/f meter to check your mixture

GreenMachine
07-15-2002, 08:39 PM
I expeirenced the same sorta thing on my car for like 21/2 years could never really find the problem. I keep here'n the same kind of hestiation problem over and over, at least I wasn't the only one. :)
I replaced my carb twice, after each time it felt better for about 2-3 months then slowy started coming back. Until it got really bad and had to be replaced - to bad I didn't know what I was doin before and thru a weber on, would saved my self a whole lot of dough. Mine seems like it was the worst case though, must have been built on a fri afternoon.

87DXHatch
07-15-2002, 10:44 PM
How much are/where can I get A/f meter and jets? I am currently winning a bid for a Weber carb... :D