PDA

View Full Version : Need Timing Help.......

86lx'er
10-16-2003, 09:18 AM
i have an 86 accord lx... the head gasket blew.(slightly) still running not overheating, etc... took the head of had it machined and valve job done... reinstalled the head.. aligned the up mark and TDC on flywheel... also verified the 2 hash marks aligned to the head.. installed the t-belt.. reinstalled everything.. cranked the car... and now i have serious valve train noise... madening noise... all the valves have been checked, checked, & rechecked.. the clearances are 'right-on'....

I Am At A Loss... Please Can Anyone Help..............................

:burn:

email or call please... [email protected]
[email protected]
404-925-7941

Thanks
Jerry

86lx'er
10-17-2003, 07:35 AM
IS THERE ANYONE OUT THERE WITH ANY HELPFUL ADVICE????????????????????????????????????

SOMEBODY PLEASE POST A REPLY, CALL, OR EMAIL.... ANYTHING

JUST SO I KNOW SOMEBODY GIVES A DAMN..........................

Jerry

rdn
10-17-2003, 11:18 AM
what kind of a valve job did you do?...and how long did you drive the car until changing the gasket?

86lx'er
10-17-2003, 12:46 PM
basic vavle job. via the machine shop....and very very little drivingh when the head gasket blew.... i started it one day and noticed some whisps of white smoke... so i checked the oil and coolant and noticed little air bubbles in the radiator... idrove it from the my normal pakiung space at the house back to my workshop area...about 100yds.. that is it.. took the head off and had the machine shop do all of the shaving and valve work...

86lx'er
10-17-2003, 12:59 PM
by the way has any of y'all ever heard of 'tappets' on an 86 Honda Accord LX... i know it is an OHC..as such there are no lifters or push rods.. but i have had 3 techs tell me there are 'tappets' between the cam lobe and the rocker arm.. does this make any sense?????????? They say that the 'tappets' have to 'build-up' before the engine will quiet down????????????

86lx'er
10-20-2003, 04:36 AM
i have figured out my problem....... it ended up being the cam... the end of the cam had split.. thus alowing 'play'... purchased a cam on friday... installed it sat. morning... and now driving around.... Thanks for any and all the help..

Jerry:super: