PDA

View Full Version : head gaseket leak?...

rdn
10-17-2003, 11:09 AM
Hi guys,

after changing the head, i noticed an oil leak at the timing belt side, below the servo-level. (part of the servo pump has oil on it

removed the belt (upper) cover, and the visible oil trace is at the head gasket level. however, there is some oil on the head below the valve cover gasket as well (same side), but not that much as below the head gasket level

the question is: could a head gasket leak oil without any other symptoms (the car runs great...no mixed coolant/oil)?...or should i focus on the valve cover gasket/camshaft seal (both are changed at the same time as the head...)?

peace!

Mac
10-17-2003, 11:32 AM
I would look closer at the camshaft seal and valve cover gasket before going after the head gasket. I understand that the cam shaft seal might be a little tricky to get it in properly.

rdn
10-17-2003, 11:38 AM
Originally posted by Mac
I would look closer at the camshaft seal and valve cover gasket before going after the head gasket. I understand that the cam shaft seal might be a little tricky to get it in properly.

that's what i suspect too...but i didn't noticed anything tricky when changing the seal...just removed the old one and pressed the new one back on it's place..

Mac
10-17-2003, 02:24 PM
I never changed that seal, so you would know better than me. But I was once told that you had to be careful not to scratch anything getting the old one out and to be aware how far you put the new one in. Did you clean it all out before installing the new one? Also are you suppose coat the new seal with oil? Like I said I never did that seal, just remember someone telling me it wasn't as easy as it sounds.

rdn
10-18-2003, 06:03 AM
Originally posted by Mac
I never changed that seal, so you would know better than me. But I was once told that you had to be careful not to scratch anything getting the old one out and to be aware how far you put the new one in. Did you clean it all out before installing the new one? Also are you suppose coat the new seal with oil? Like I said I never did that seal, just remember someone telling me it wasn't as easy as it sounds.

well...i did everything i was supposed to do....the only problem could be that i didn't use an oem seal :crying: