PDA

View Full Version : LED lighting project finally started :)

Sabz5150
10-17-2003, 07:30 PM
I found a source of damn good priced tri-color LEDs, so my project of 16.7 million colors on the dash is going to start. I'll be installing them in my instrument panel, autometer gauges and my "Type R" lighted shift knob (It's a damn good knob).

I'll be able to change my interior lights to whatever color suits my mood :D

I wanted to interface these with a Clarion headunit that changes colors, but I don't have that money just yet.

I'll post pics of the progress when the box arrives at my home.

Micah 89LXi
10-18-2003, 11:40 AM
speaking of that....how do you get 16.7 million colours out of tri colour leds?...never mind...my question is how hard is it to change those leds or to get in there to change em....i want bright red ones.....to go with my red and black interior...ill buy them at circuit city..for some odd reason they have those things

HostileJava
10-18-2003, 11:47 AM
Why not we make that many colors out of the rgb color tubes in our tv's and monitors?

Sabz5150
10-18-2003, 01:26 PM
Originally posted by Micah 89LXi
speaking of that....how do you get 16.7 million colours out of tri colour leds

All visible color consists of up to three colors: red, green and blue. They're called the primary colors. If youi combine equal amounts of the three, you get white light.

Basically I can adjust the brightness of each of the colors and make any color possible.

89accord_lxi_coupe
10-18-2003, 03:34 PM
how much do LEDs usually run? it would be nice to replace my tail lights with LEDs rather than the regular bulbs. i know they pull less power, but do they burn out?

g0ldfinGa
10-18-2003, 05:25 PM
i just put some cold cathode tubes in my car those are nice and crazy bright (29,000 mcd), i bought ones made for pc cases (cause a pc power supply is 12v) love them, your idea sounds nice but its merely impossible to get that much configuration outta em, even if you do your gonna pay a arm and a leg for that many switches cause ud need lights that can take low low voltage and dimmer switches for every single light, and 3 lights for every one light that you have in there now so thats basically overkill if im understanding right, not really worth the time :)

Justin86
10-18-2003, 05:25 PM
Well red, green and blue is what our eyes can detect. There is more base colors but inorder for our eyes to see them thay have to be a combination of the red, green, blue. Don't ask be how I know this kind of stuff I'm just one of those math, science nerds, except I don't look like it :)

Sabz5150
10-18-2003, 05:34 PM
Originally posted by g0ldfinGa
i just put some cold cathode tubes in my car those are nice and crazy bright (29,000 mcd), i bought ones made for pc cases (cause a pc power supply is 12v) love them, your idea sounds nice but its merely impossible to get that much configuration outta em, even if you do your gonna pay a arm and a leg for that many switches cause ud need lights that can take low low voltage and dimmer switches for every single light, and 3 lights for every one light that you have in there now so thats basically overkill if im understanding right, not really worth the time :)

2 volts at 0.3mA... I don't think that power will be an issue. And with the LEDs running me about 1.95 a shot, they're nicely priced.

All I need are three pots for color control, and I can run wiring for the lights. It won't be anywhere as difficult as ya think. Four conductor telephone wire will make the wiring and connection jobs a snap :)

Sabz5150
10-18-2003, 05:37 PM
Best part, it's all one LED, same size as all the others

http://www.superbrightleds.com/gifs/led_rgb_dim.gif

Micah 89LXi
10-18-2003, 10:27 PM
they are $18 a piece at circuit city..the replacement LED bulbs for your tails...yes i said circuit city

Micah 89LXi
10-18-2003, 10:36 PM
they are $18 a piece at circuit city..the replacement LED bulbs for your tails...yes i said circuit city

Vanilla Sky
10-18-2003, 11:28 PM
are you sure??? circuit city??? dreaded double post

Sabz5150
10-19-2003, 08:37 AM
Okay, lemme be the holy grail here. Super Bright LEDs (www.superbrightleds.com) is the company I'm getting my tri colors so cheap from. They have a car section. 1156 and 1157 bulbs are 4.99 and up there. They have red, amber and a few other colors I believe.

Check em out :) www.superbrightleds.com

http://www.superbrightleds.com/cgi-bin/store/commerce.cgi?product=CAR

Morbid Intentionz
10-20-2003, 03:07 PM
Definetly a project for someone with patience

Gemini2003
02-21-2006, 10:06 PM
Hey Sabz5150 How did this project turn out?

Gemini2003
02-21-2006, 10:27 PM
SORRY!!! I didn't see your other threads on this matter :-)