88vert
10-18-2003, 10:08 AM
Can I replace these with rubber?

DanG86LX
10-18-2003, 06:09 PM
..and which tranny lines go to radiator ? :confused:

zero.counter
10-18-2003, 07:56 PM
If he has a transmission coller mounter to the radiator, that may be what he is talking about. As far as using rubber, verify that you have some very good clamps and that it is only temporary. Some types of ATF are capable of causing rapid deterioration and chunks come loose and so forth. Metal lines for tranny fluid unless you find a good thick rubber hose.

88vert
10-18-2003, 10:56 PM
These lines go from metal to like a fabric line on my auto tranny on my 89 LXI

Dibbs
10-20-2003, 05:39 AM
Yeah, I've got the same one's on my LX-i. They are fabric reinforced and pretty thick. I would probably suggest and OEM replacement for the hoses. Are they broken or are you just looking to replace them for giggles? I would imagine a junkyard would be your best bet to find the hoses in question without paying an arm and a leg.

88vert
10-20-2003, 06:51 AM
Yes they are kind of a fabric reinforced,they are not leaking but I thought after 150000 miles I should just change them:)

Dibbs
10-20-2003, 07:07 AM
I got 190K on mine. I've put 2 radiators in it (long story) and the hoses work fine. They're pretty durable wit the fabric reinforcement. I'd say if they're not leaking now, don't worry about it.

88vert
10-20-2003, 07:14 AM
Thanks alot for your responce:) I think I am just going to leave them alone after all:)

markmdz89hatch
10-21-2003, 10:49 AM
I dunno, it really depends on the car. My coupe has only 140 on it and I already had to replace those lines.

If you go to AutoZone, and ask for 3/8 transmission hose, you'll get the right stuff. It's only about $1 per foot, so don't be stingy.

My hard lines on those hoses were rusted through, leaky and just plain in bad shape. I ripped out all the hard line and soft lines, then replaced the whole thing with one soft line. Cost me $3 for the tranny hose, and another $3 for some real good SS Screw clamps from Home Depot, and a couple good sized zip-ties.

I've put well over 4K on the car since then and it's all running fine.

I'd say that the hard lines are going to start to seep fluid before the soft lines go bad, so if there's no build-up at the bends or securing points in the hard lines, don't worry about the soft ones.

Dibbs
10-21-2003, 12:52 PM
True. I guess climate would play a role in wear. There's not many chemicals on the roads here Texas during the winter but I would imagine a cold climate near the ocean like in CT would increase the corrosion factor.

markmdz89hatch
10-21-2003, 01:23 PM
Originally posted by Dibbie
True. I guess climate would play a role in wear. There's not many chemicals on the roads here Texas during the winter but I would imagine a cold climate near the ocean like in CT would increase the corrosion factor.

:werd: This coupe has, by far, the worst case of the 'rodies i've ever seen. It looks like someone parked it in a marine on the ocean for it's entire life, then only drove it on the road after a fresh salting in the winter. It was really bad. Just about a month ago I blew my main power steering pressure line b/c it was all leaky too. It never ends with this coupe, I bought it b/c it only had 140 and I figured it'd be a very low-maintenance vehicle. I spend many hours with a wire brush, engine brite, and numerous cans of brak-kleen for the really gummed up areas under the hood. Now it's all shiny and brite and most of the pitting and surface corrosion is gone. It's weird, b/c the coupe has 140K and my hatch has over 218K now, and the hatch is squeeky clean under the hood with all original lines and hoses. (Although the hatch has been in the fam. since new and lived in the garage for the majority of it's life.)