PDA

View Full Version : What Happens When Crack Addicts Work On Cars

it's paid for
10-18-2003, 05:05 PM
Took off the air filter housing and found my carburetor gasket looking like this . . . also, there is no plug in the crankcase (where you check for timing alignment) . . . who knows what else I'll find . . . :eek: :mad:

http://www.bloomyourbusiness.com/honda/gasket_on_crack_01.jpg

http://www.bloomyourbusiness.com/honda/gasket_on_crack_02.jpg

zero.counter
10-18-2003, 05:33 PM
Originally posted by it's paid for
also, there is no plug in the crankcase
I had this issue long ago when I did not care for my cars. The place is called "Econolube" and they attempted to perform a tune-up. They left it off (the timing plug) that is, and I didn't even notice. I was pissed.

it's paid for
10-18-2003, 05:45 PM
. . . long ago when I did not care for my cars . . . I just started doing my own work again on cars last summer due to economic reasons . . . it's crazy, but I'm actually enjoying doing the work myself . . . I can do an oil change in no time and at a total cost of about $7.50 (Fram filter from WalMart & name-brand oil on sale at Advance Auto Parts) . . . plus, I know it's done and done right and I don't have to wait & blah, blah, blah . . . I was delighted to find a used oil recycling tank within 2 miles from where I live . . . I keep the used oil in a 5 gallon tank and it's very convienient to take over there every 4th oil change, or so . . . now, if I could find out what to do with my used radiator fluid . . .
:confused:

zero.counter
10-18-2003, 06:01 PM
Originally posted by it's paid for
now, if I could find out what to do with my used radiator fluid . . .
:confused:
For the love of all that is good and wholesome, don't pour it anywhere! Most radiator repair shops will dispose of it for a fee. Actually, anyone who does any type of radiator work will dispose of it for a fee. The waste disposal compounds here in the city charge a toxic disposal fee of $3 per gallon, check with those types of services.

Sean
10-18-2003, 07:16 PM
Originally posted by zero.counter
For the love of all that is good and wholesome, don't pour it anywhere!

you take all the fun out of having neighbors you dont like dont you. its a fantastic lawn defoliator

89AccordHatch
10-18-2003, 08:01 PM
i sure as hell wouldnt pay to throw that stuff out....down the gutter it goes.

3G Jester
10-18-2003, 08:08 PM
hahahah when i flushed my radiator i just did it in my drive hahaha i have a gravel driveway so i just let it all seep in. worse comes to worse it just prevented the grass from growing up in the driveway :lol

zero.counter
10-18-2003, 08:49 PM
There are those of us who are responsible and care if our children develop Lou Gherigs or cancerous tumors due to toxic liquids or unknown chemicals and/or exposure seeping into groundwater sources. I would not want to be responsible for someone else's condition because of my selfishness and uncaring attitude.

Responsibilty is a dying trait when it comes to america. Corporations, teachers, police officers, mechanics, doctors, hell almost every profession including but not limited to mothers and fathers are caring less for teaching and enforcing that and other good traits on our nation. Instead, they choose to blame each other and give a "who gives a rat's ass" 'tude for others. America is turning into a lazy, fat, selfish, destructive, un-focused, greedy, disruptive, meddling, unforsaken, irresponsible, self-gratifying, unforgiving, unsophisticated, increasingly un-educated country. Our video games, gang violence, troubled youth, shit-hole economy have a little something to do with the youth of today's outlook on life, creating unsympathetic or obdurated people. Fathers don't take the time to teach their kids morals, value, and ethics and mothers don't seem to have much time to be compassionate anymore it seems these days. That was a vague comment, so don't be offended.

On a good note, it is still the land of the free (personal freedoms slowly slipping away, 1st amendment has been abused and is now interpreted incorrectly, discrimination is becoming even more evident and destructive), opportunity (huge job loss numbers and increased taxes for the founding Small Business), and security (TIA, bio-authentication, mass databases of personal information, cell phone triangulation technology, satellite tracking of vehicles, the possibility of enforced tours with the military, more laws making search and seizure even easier without a judge's approval). Anyways, you get the jist of the point.

Water is life, and throwing those chemicals into your yard will catch up with someone sooner or later. That is, unless you leave somewhere isolated. Storm drains do lead somewhere, and our ecosystems are already damaged enough. But who cares anyway, we are Americans and don't give a rat's ass. We're all gonna die someday.

End of futile rant. I care, that is why I am pursuing the medical profession. But that is me. I guess you have to do some clinical work in an emergency department like I did to realize how precious life is. When you see a 3yr. old die of complications from renal failure attributed to the intake of a poisonous substance such as Ethylene Glycol, it kinda affects you.

Anyways, I think that the couple of dollars for disposal is worth someone's life don't you?

Sorry guys, I just felt the need for justification. :)

al010101
10-18-2003, 11:41 PM
my bmw leaks antifreeze.....drip drip drip all day/night, no dead animals under it yet so we're doin good!

it's paid for
10-19-2003, 05:27 PM
. . . no dead animals under it yet so we're doin good It was my impression it's not an instant death . . . they consume the toxic chemical(s), then they wander off, get sick and slowly & very painfully die . . . this is how my mother's dog died - it made it back home to her house and then died in the yard in horrible pain . . . it was pathetic & very sad to watch such a needless thing happen to such a great dog . . .

I appreciate zero.counter's opinions about this . . . ruining our planet with toxic waste is just not cool and should be avoided whenever reasonably possible . . .

. . . I truly believe in electric cars . . . 90% of commuting can be done with an electric car - trips to work & back, for example . . . we have the technology, we have the need . . . why isn't it being done? I guess it's the expense of getting everyone on board because it makes perfect sense otherwise. For long commutes, there's the 2nd vehicle, or a hybrid, or public transportation.

. . . what's that saying about a can of worms? I think I just opened one.

Happy driving,

IPF

k-roy
10-19-2003, 05:42 PM
I consider myself a half ass enviromentalist. I drive a Honda, with NO emissions. I do Recycle oil and antifreeze. I use high octane and rev high. Imagine if everyone on earth did not recycle, then imagine if everyone did recycle. Big differance. So yea, do your part, its not hard.

Grant2k
10-20-2003, 01:38 PM
what are you guys, crazy? antifreeze is delicious!

NXRacer
10-20-2003, 01:44 PM
Originally posted by Grant2k

:lol :werd: tasting is the oldest test for antifreeze known to man!!

carotman
10-20-2003, 03:29 PM
The anti-freeze isn't THAT harmful. Look on the package of some brands.. some of them tell you to flush it down the drain if it's legal to do so in your area.....

zero.counter
10-20-2003, 04:11 PM
Originally posted by carotman
The anti-freeze isn't THAT harmful. Look on the package of some brands.. some of them tell you to flush it down the drain if it's legal to do so in your area.....
Propylene glycol,would be the type that you are aspeaking of - although not entirely nontoxic - is considerably less toxic than ethylene glycol. These products do provide a little more safety in the event of accidental ingestion. However, it still can cause death if a large amount is ingested. In addition, the metals in your cooling system that corrode or dissolve into your antifreeze can also be harmful. For this reason, motorists should always exercise caution when using any type of antifreeze product.

By the way, I would like to hope that you are not questioning the validity of my horrific personal experience. In questioning the danger, you are in fact doing so.
Read up before stating that something like, Ethylene Glycol, is not dangerous.

Here is a nice little article labled;

Understanding Kidney Disease -- Prevention
And a small snippet from it-
Several of the chemicals found in common household products have been linked to both acute and chronic kidney disease. By reading product labels carefully and taking a few simple precautions, you can limit your exposure to these harmful toxins.

Ethylene glycol (1,2-dihydroxyethane; 1,2-ethanediol; ethylene alcohol; ethylene dihydrate). This clear, sweet-tasting chemical is found primarily in automobile antifreeze and brake fluid, and in cosmetics, particularly those with a creamy texture.

To avoid:

* Read cosmetics labels carefully; avoid those products containing the chemical.
* Do not allow children, who are sometimes attracted to the sweet taste of products containing ethylene glycol, to play in garages or other areas where cars and their supplies are kept. Promptly clean up any fluids that leak from your car.

The whole article from WebMD is here. (http://my.webmd.com/content/article/65/72663.htm?lastselectedguid={5FE84E90-BC77-4056-A91C-9531713CA348})

I cannot quote my access to Med-Line, since it is for reasearch, but I can site more sources including the ISBN from books, journals and other related information stating so.

My original post stating, "There are those of us who are responsible and care if our children develop Lou Gherigs or cancerous tumors due to toxic liquids or unknown chemicals and/or exposure seeping into groundwater sources.

I did not directly refer to anti-freeze as being the culprit for those conditions, but was vague in offering a conclusion as two a bad outcome.

If it is not that dangerous, break out a beer mug and pour some into it with a little ice for effect and have at it...I didn't think so.

zero.counter
10-20-2003, 04:19 PM
No offense intended :)

'A20A3'
10-20-2003, 05:46 PM
Originally posted by Grant2k

this man's got it:pimp:

carotman
10-21-2003, 03:40 AM
Nah, I didn't say it's not harmful.... I'm just saying it's not EXTREMELY dangerous.... like used oils ou gasoline... it's still not a good thing to flush it down the drain but when I always choose the type of anti-freeze that's less harmful to the environment.

easyryder
10-23-2003, 04:37 PM
Zero. counter You brought up some very
good points...Something to think about
not split hairs about,,,in my opinion
P.S. Happy Birthday C.m.

Sean
10-24-2003, 07:00 PM
the glychol alcohol in anti freeze can be disolved with simpel dish soap. did you know that ? thats how i deal with all my antifreeze. glucose and alcohol are not toxic individually of each other unless the alcohol is taken in large quantitys. Seriously chek your chem books. if you cant find a good way to dispoes of your anti freeze try stanard palmolive dishsoap. it works wonders. by introducing the Base it break the ionic bond between the glychol and the anitfrezze.