PDA

View Full Version : CAI helps?

rjjensen
10-19-2003, 01:04 PM
I'm trying to understand this CAI thing. I've read through lots of posts but I have yet to find one that quantifies the benefits of such a mod. I looked at my stock air intake and it starts in the right panel. This has to be better than the short CAI starting in the hot engine compartment, doesn't it? Could someone could explain how this mod. increases hp? TIA

zero.counter
10-19-2003, 01:24 PM
When you compress air, it typically raises the temperature. But we understand that for superior performance, your engine would require the coolest air possible in the cylinder because the hotter the air is, the less it will expand when combustion runs its course.

So in essence, having a CAI would benefit the engine more than just an intake which is essentially recirculating the warm air of the engine compartment.

To better understand the role of such a device and how it would benefit completely, you would need to understand the process of combustion engines.

rjjensen
10-19-2003, 05:11 PM
Thanks. I wasn't questioning the principal of ram air or cold air but the location of the input of the air intake relative to the location of warm air in the engine compartment. It seems to me that the intake of the short CAI's that I have seen in the members pictures are in the warm engine compartment. How would this be considered COLD? Secondly how is this compressing the air?

zero.counter
10-19-2003, 05:14 PM
The air in the cylinders and any air that is heated around the compartment. Primarily referring to the cylinders though.

Jims 86LXI HB
10-19-2003, 05:27 PM
Originally posted by rjjensen
Thanks. I wasn't questioning the principal of ram air or cold air but the location of the input of the air intake relative to the location of warm air in the engine compartment. It seems to me that the intake of the short CAI's that I have seen in the members pictures are in the warm engine compartment. How would this be considered COLD?

Their not. No matter how much anyone tries to spin, "theirs so much air circulating under the hood, It'll be cold". Cold air IS cold air and will be colder when it is does not come from under the hood. Real outside cold air is always better than any from under the hood source.

Your best bet is to do the extra work involved in creating a CAI that replaces the stock intake system and ducts into the fender to draw it's air. Run a search in the performance section of the board and you will run into a post that will pretty much tell you how to make it yourself.

4sillypwr
10-19-2003, 05:30 PM
Originally posted by zero.counter
When you compress air, it typically raises the temperature. But we understand that for superior performance, your engine would require the coolest air possible in the cylinder because the hotter the air is, the less it will expand when combustion runs its course.

So in essence, having a CAI would benefit the engine more than just an intake which is essentially recirculating the warm air of the engine compartment.

To better understand the role of such a device and how it would benefit completely, you would need to understand the process of combustion engines.

That was a little confusing but right on. To clear it up. Yes having a short ram intake taking in air from the engine doing is doing nothing to cool the air. It does however do a little to help because it is more of a straight shot to the engine, less turbulence than the stock system wich has a resonator that breaks the air up.
It's not as practical to to have a true CAI all the time becuase it will also suck up water(unless you get the aem bypass)

Simply put; cold air is denser than hot air. So in effect when the engine is sucking in colder air it is actaully taking in more oxygen. More oxygen+more fuel = more power.