PDA

View Full Version : Anyone know what the ignition wire resistance should be?

Hash_man_Se_i
10-19-2003, 06:06 PM
I beleive I have the NGK wires in my accord... and it seems really bogged down lately when I try to accelerate, and then it just kicks in. So I asked around at work, and was told it is most likely my ignition wires, or coil wire :huh: ...

So I just need to know if anyone has a Haynes or other manual which shows what the resistance should be. Thanks

-Jason

zero.counter
10-19-2003, 06:10 PM
Quote from MSD WEB site AND 1988STARTER'S POST:

If you suspect a spark plug wire to be open causing poor performance, check the resistance of each wire. By checking the resistance of each wire you will determine two things: That there is continuity (not open) and if there is too much resistance in the wire. Use an Ohm Meter and connect the terminals to the spark plug wire terminals. Use care to make sure there is good contact or the readings will be inaccurate. On MSD wires the resistance should be:

Heli-Core Wires (Blue):
150 - 1,200 ohms per foot
8.5mm Super Conductor (Red):
40 - 50 ohms per foot

If you do not know the specification for your wires, measure the resistance of each wire. Remember to divide the length of the wire by 12 to get a "per foot" measurement. If one wire is out of that average spec, it is at fault

Solid Core Wires: You cannot run Solid Core Spark Plug Wires with an MSD Ignition Control. Solid Core wires do not suppress any Electro Magnetic Interference (EMI) which will interfere with electronics or rev limiters on your vehicle. A suppression style or spiral wound spark plug wire MUST be used.

BTW, I know it is a different brand.

Hash_man_Se_i
10-19-2003, 06:14 PM
ok... I dont know if that really helps me, but I guess I could go get the readings, and see if they are even close.