PDA

View Full Version : Needed: Clutch Pedal Adjustment for Idiots

Cat3
10-20-2003, 10:17 AM
Hi,

I just installed a new clutch on my 89 accord DX 5spd, it's not a stock replacement, but it's not a performance clutch either. I got it on ebay from eClutchmasters. It said on the box the brand was Daiken or something like that. It's supposedly 10% better than stock. But what kind of a difference 10% makes, i don't know.

Anyway, what i'd like to know is how to adjust the clutch pedal.
I know you have to turn that dial behind the battery, and measure release arm freeplay. But i don't know what i'm measuring exactly. Can anyone tell me what the signals are when freeplay begins and when it ends?
I know it sounds like a stupid question, but i can't rely on using the pedal itself to see if it feels right. This is the only standard car i've ever driven, and the last clutch went out prematurely. So i assume either i burned the hell out of it, or it was poorly adjusted.
For this clutch, i want to make sure it's adjusted properly, then if it goes again i'll know it's me.
I called around and can't find anyone to adjust it for me at a fair price. 70 bucks is not fair in my book.

Thanks for any advice you can offer!
-Justin

ps: I live in San Antonio TX - If anyone's around here, and can adjust it properly for me, let me know. I'd pay twenty bucks for your trouble.

BITESIZE
10-20-2003, 10:20 AM
Actually, that's a swell question. After my 5 speed swap.......this is all new to me. I would like to know too.

AZmike
10-20-2003, 11:40 AM
Turn the knob until you can move the end of the release arm about 0.6 cm before it starts to pull on the clutch cable. This way you can be sure that the clutch is fully engaged when the clutch pedal is all the way up.

Pico
03-27-2007, 10:21 AM
Sorry guys old bump.
Help anyone, need to drive my new 5 speedswap :D

frantik
03-27-2007, 12:10 PM
to move the engagement point closer to the floor, turn the nut counter-clockwise (loosening it, moving the nut up the bolt, etc). to move it off the floor, turn it clockwise

there should be some play in the line, and when you press the clutch it should be loose at first then get firmer. I prefer the engagement point just a little off the floor so when you release the clutch you dont have to let it travel far before it starts to engage :)

Pico
03-27-2007, 12:21 PM
:wave: Thank You :D

russiankid
03-27-2007, 12:26 PM
Make sure the release arm does not move more 4.5mm.

frantik
03-27-2007, 04:12 PM
:wave: Thank You :D

no problem, n00b :kekeke:

MessyHonda
03-27-2007, 10:06 PM
russiankid also helped me adjust my clutch.(thu aim)..since it i did not have alot of play and my clutch would slip when i floored it hard. now its all fixed and it worked good. i had to take out the battery just to make it easy for me to turn the nut