PDA

View Full Version : Carb cleaned the EGR Valve, Still PGM-FI, anyideas?

PogiLXI
10-20-2003, 03:54 PM
hey, I took the time and took out the EGR Sprayed it mad Style with Carb cleaner, checked the Diafram, no cracks, looks BRAND SPANKING NEW! hahaha, anyway. went for a test drive, and the PGM-FI came up, :( , how do I check the Vacum line? and the Electrical Connection? I got a Digital multimeter, and a Vacum Gauge. help a fella out yalls.

accordlxi2.0
10-21-2003, 04:09 AM
what no code's?

PogiLXI
10-21-2003, 05:13 AM
That was the code, EGR Lift Sensor. Code 12.

1988starter
10-21-2003, 11:18 AM
check the vacume hose going into it or the sensor it connects to here is a link with some vacume diagrams. It could very well be the controll silonoid (spelling).
http://www.3geez.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=21382

PogiLXI
10-21-2003, 03:07 PM
so Electrical Test and a Vacum test should Pinpoint the problem right??? got any how-Tos on that stuff??

1988starter
10-21-2003, 06:30 PM
unfortunately I do not but check the tube for a hole or crack also look instide the box for anything wrong

PogiLXI
10-21-2003, 07:19 PM
I looked inside the box, cant really See all the hoses connections, there like Stacked, and I dont wana start unscrewing stuff.

danronian
10-22-2003, 05:10 AM
Did you unhook the battery to reset the ecu after you cleaned the egr?

PogiLXI
10-22-2003, 11:26 AM
no, I didnt, ill do that right now!!!!! update tonight!

Mac
10-22-2003, 01:54 PM
You can reset the ECU by pulling fuse #11 under the hood in the fuse/relay box for at least 10 seconds, if you don't want to disconnect the battery.

If you don't reset the ECU memory the light will remain even if you fixed the problem.

PogiLXI
10-23-2003, 11:25 AM
Its Fuse 10 on mine, EFT ECU fuse, number 11 is fog lights or something. so i Pulled 10, for a min. put it back in, drove. light came on.

accordlxi2.0
10-23-2003, 03:09 PM
damn something's wrong the light did'nt come on asap after you pulled the fuse right.
if so you might have ta dissconnect the battery.
if not and it's the same code.
you might've shorted it out?(don't think it's possible.)
but jus replace it just in case.

PogiLXI
10-23-2003, 04:46 PM
no, The PGM-FI light didnt come back on Agian As soon as I went for a drive After I pulled the Fuse. It took 5 mins or so After. but it takes longer when my Car is cold, like when I start up in the morning.

Is there anyway to Check the vacum on the hose, and on the Electrical connection????

1988starter
10-23-2003, 06:55 PM
Open the box again and this time look inside by removing the 4 big phillips head screws. They can get stuck in there tight so I used a pair of vice grips to losen them

PogiLXI
10-23-2003, 07:37 PM
What should I look for????? something missing? Broken? Froze???

1988starter
10-23-2003, 08:28 PM
A broken or cracked vacume line a disconnected vacume line a fried wire ect. You problem sounds exactly like when I accentdently pulled mine off the connector when instaling my cai

PogiLXI
10-23-2003, 08:36 PM
shouldnt a Vacum pump\gauge see if it has a hole or is disconected? also, how do I check if there is vacum on the hose? how to I check the connection ON the EGR valve???

cruznz
10-23-2003, 09:07 PM
i copied this from the chiltons book

1. First check that all vacuum fines and electrical connections are in good condition.

2. Disconnect the vacuum supply hose to the EGR valve and connect a hand vacuum pump to the valve.

3. Start the engine and allow it to reach normal operating temperature,

4, With the engine at idle, draw a vacuum on the EGR valve, The engine should stall (or run very rough) and the valve should hold vacuum. If not, replace the EGR valve

5. Connect a vacuum gauge to the vacuum hose from the control solenoid valve ' there should be no vacuum at idle. If there is vacuum to the EGR valve at idle, check the wiring for the control solenoid. One wire should have 12 volts any time the engine is running. The ground wire goes to the ECU, which modulates the control solenoid opening by controlling the ground circuit. Turn the ignition switch OFF and use a digital ohmmeter to see it the wire between the ECU and control solenoid is shorted to ground. If the wiring is OK, the ECU is getting an incorrect input signal or the ECU is faulty.

6. The vacuum going to the control solenoid valve should be about 8 in. Hg (200 mm Hg) at idle. Connect a vacuum gauge to the hose coming from the air chamber. If the vacuum is not correct, read the vacuum at the CVC valve outlet. Full manifold vacuum should be available at the CVC inlet. It the air chamber or CVC valve is are not functioning property, the units must be replaced.

PogiLXI
10-24-2003, 05:04 AM
Thank You!