PDA

View Full Version : Ok, this ist just a dream of mine...

Cyric_accord
10-20-2003, 07:09 PM
But this is what I'm thinking for my suspension setup... should I "stumble" across a couple hundred dollars in teh future....

thinkin Tokico's all around and Progress Tech. Sport Springs at a 2" drop wih a Progress Camber Kit... i can get this from a club member for about $500 and then throw a set of 17" Exel Gunmetal Race rims wrapped in Yokohama AVS

so what I am asking, is this feasible and does anyone have any suggestions? I open for them, flames included :rolleyes:

Mike89Accordcom
10-20-2003, 11:04 PM
sounds like a great idea to me. That's a great setup. You can't go wrong with those brands either.

markmdz89hatch
10-21-2003, 10:39 AM
Not a flame, just a suggestion. I didn't look at Jim's "spring rate" thread lately, but if memory serves me, the Progress are among the stiffest springs you can get for the 3G. I only think that b/c I remember when I bought my B&G's, my other thought was Progress. (I was shopping for the stiffest springs I could find.)

If that's the case, then the Toki's are a no-go. The only way to go would be Koni's (which don't exist anymore), or re-valved 'Steins.

The Toki's would blow out in no time, and then you'de be a bouncing feind and safety would be an issue.

Cyric_accord
10-21-2003, 12:31 PM
Ok, good thing I asked about this then and this is the kind of things I was looking for. I wouldn't have known about that and would have just blown $260 in tokico shocks down the drain :(... So I need to look for different springs? Anyone have any suggestions on springs then?

The other ones I can get thru my friend is a set of Sprint Performance Suspension Springs at a 2.25" drop for about $20 cheaper than the Progress Tech. springs.... anyone heard anything about those? Unfortunately my guy who I'd buy from deals mostly in newer parts, like the expensive Tein suspensions for newer accords... I don't think Tein makes any suspension setups for 3rd gens and even if they did, they'd probably be too expensive for my tastes.

markmdz89hatch
10-21-2003, 01:33 PM
Are you in a big hurry to get this done? How much time are we looking at before you want to have the parts on your car? Only reason I ask is b/c I planned on beginning a comparrison with shocks for other applications to see what modifications are needed to retro-fit a good set to the 3G. But honestly, that's not for about a year before I'll be ready to intro another application as an option, unless I stumble across a perfect fit early on.

Honestly (Jim may not agree, and he's got a good point.) if you're looking for a real cheap way out, and don't put thousands of miles on your car every month, the cheapest way out which would not provide a terrible ride, would be to do the following. Use your stock springs, cut them to your desired height, but make sure you cut the coil right so it'll still sit in the spring perch the way it's supposed to. Then combine that with the 'Toki's and you'll have a decent setup that should perform better then stock. However, be warned, by cutting the springs, you do greatly increase the potential for bottoming out, and as a result you will put more stress on the strut mounts/towers. But the added stress, and bottom-out potential is greater with all lowered cars, just greater with cut-spring cars becuase of the maintained low spring rate.

This will save you some good money, and allow you to get the look at a relatively low cost, so you can save up for a high-performance lowering.

Cyric_accord
10-21-2003, 04:26 PM
This project probably won't happen until atleast next summer... I'm just getting a feel for what others have done and may suggest a setup that would work well. I'm not looking for the easy way to just cut my springs... If I do this, i'll be getting all the suspension stuff done at the same time... ie shocks, springs, sway bar, tower brace, etc.

I know the best way would be to get Koni's and which springs suit me but since they no longer make em, just checking around. And I put about 200 miles on my car each time I go home for the weekend from college, so I can stay with stock right now.