PDA

View Full Version : 1986 Accord LXi Problems

dawn82abn
10-20-2003, 11:42 PM
aloha,
i just bought a 1986 Accord LXi and had the clutch replaced and the rear main seal. I found out by taking out the spark plugs that one of the plug holes was crossthreaded and I have just fixed that however, i am still having a few problems. First of all when i start it up, and no matter how long i drive it or how hot it gets, the idle on the car jumps up and down from about 800RPM's to about 1500RPM's...and sometimes...but NOT ALL THE TIME...whether i am on the freeway or in a 35 mile an hour zopne...the car will just lose power ....it will decelerate on its own even with the gas peddle to the floor...and then whether i downshift or not it will suddenly perk back up again. Like i said it does not do this all the time...i was driving two weeks ago in town and it did this thing while i was going about 35 MPH and then it did not happen for a while...then last week i was on the freeway going about 55-60mph and it lost decelerated until i was almost on the side of the road...but suddenly it perked back up and i have not had a problem since then. Any ideas i would appreciate it. Oh and I am new to this forum..so Aloha from Honolulu.
Peace

HPRpreludeSOHC
10-21-2003, 06:33 AM
Have you checked the fuel system to make sure everything is operating okay? It seems like your fuel cuts out when you lose power, on a smaller note the non consistent fuel delivery can also cause your idles to jump up and down. Try cleaning out your carbs and if that doesn't work, check your fuel pump :)

dawn82abn
10-21-2003, 05:29 PM
Great!! Thanks alot. I just went and bought a new air cleaner and fuel filter today, and just waiting for the car to cool down so I can install. Thanks alot for the advice. Oh, my car is Fuel Injected too, and I was wondering if there is a way to clean the injectors or should they be replaced altogether after a certain mileage? The Chiltons manual only talks about removing and replacing and inspecting...it says nothing about cleaning them. Was just wondering if that was possible.
Aloha,
Dawn

k-roy
10-21-2003, 05:36 PM
Here is info on cleaning injectors:
http://www.diynet.com/diy/ab_auto_fuel_system/article/0,2021,DIY_13679_2276265,00.html
Welcome to the board, Honolulu must be a nice place to live.

dawn82abn
10-23-2003, 01:42 PM
Thanks alot for the information....and yes I am very lucky to live here.
Aloha,
Dawn